Some Fondant Questions From A Newbie...

Decorating By Weezul Updated 7 Aug 2009 , 7:27pm by Weezul

Weezul Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Weezul Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 9:40am
post #1 of 9

Ladies, I could use your help. icon_redface.gif
I have never worked with fondant before, but have managed some decent roses, flower, mushrooms, and a fairy. My questions are:
How long can these fondant things set on BC before getting soggy, will they get soggy from the grease in the BC?
After I have crusted and smoothed the BC I want to put the fondant elements on. Will they just sit on it, do I have to put a dollop of fresh BC down first? (I know i will have to do that for the flowers going onto the side of the cake, but not sure what to do with the ones for on the top)
Is there a risk of the tiny flowers that i am using for garland on the side of slipping off once i attatch them with bc to the side?
What about humidity? It is supposed to rain, and be in the 80's. Will this affect the fondant or the BC?
Really sorry to ask so many questions, but this is for my daughter's second birthday, and with all the time i spent putting iinto the fondant decos I really don't want to screw up! (Not to mention that my sister in law took the Wilton fondant courses and will probably be judging with a critical eye..LOL)

Any help you can give would be MOST appreciated. Her 2nd Bday party is tomorrow, and I thought that I would assemble cake today and leave tomorrow am for the other food prep.
Thanks again Ladies for your time.
Wendy

8 replies
Weezul Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 10:29am
post #2 of 9

I am very sorry for not including the gentlemen, what can i say I am not used to getting up at 4:30am. sorry guys!

Cheyanne25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cheyanne25 Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 11:32am
post #3 of 9

Most of my cakes are covered in fondant, so I don't have that much experience in buttcream with fondant decorations.

But I made a buttercream cake with a fondant plaque and bow on the side and front. I had it over night before I gave it to the customer and there were no problems at all with the fondant getting soggy/greasy.

I think if you're using a crusting buttercream and it's already set before you put the decorations on, you might want to add a little bit of fresh buttercream, or royal icing, or melted chocolate. Just to help secure the decorations on top. But if your buttercream does not crust (like mine) you should be able to just place them on and the sugars will fuse to each other!

Hopefully someone with more experience with buttercream/fondant decorations will come along and give you some more advise.

Good luck, I'm sure your daughter will love it.

Weezul Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 11:54am
post #4 of 9

Thank you for your answers. They were helpful. That gives me some hope that when I let this set overnight into the next day it will stool look like what I put together. LOL. I have put a lot of time into these decos (mainly because i redid a few that I wasn't happy with) and did not want them to turn into a blob of sugar. Thanks again for your time.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 12:01pm
post #5 of 9

As long as you don't put the finished cake in the fridge, your fondant decor should hold up fine. I put fondant flowers on buttercream swirls on cupcakes, and long as the fondant stuff is dry, it will keep its shape for as long as the cupcake survives icon_biggrin.gif

The small flowers on the sides should be perfectly fine.

And you should not have any problems with humidity as long as your air conditioner is running...that's usually enough to take the excess moisture out of the air.

Weezul Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 12:52pm
post #6 of 9

icon_lol.gif What air conditioner icon_lol.gif
is it a huge problem? should i ice today and assemble tomorrow? icon_cry.gif I wish i knew more about this stuff. Guess i should have researched before i just decided to jump in and try it. LOL. Thanks for your answers.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 12:54pm
post #7 of 9

LOL...down here you can't survive without an air conditioner...sometimes literally, which is sad...but it's probably not as humid there as it is here.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 6:36pm
post #8 of 9

How long can these fondant things set on BC before getting soggy, will they get soggy from the grease in the BC?

-I don't think they would sag due to the grease. I am not sure though. I suggest you let them crust before anything.

After I have crusted and smoothed the BC I want to put the fondant elements on. Will they just sit on it, do I have to put a dollop of fresh BC down first? (I know i will have to do that for the flowers going onto the side of the cake, but not sure what to do with the ones for on the top)

-yOu can use tylo glue to stick some of the flat elements. If you are going to use 3d flowers, then I suggest you use some type of dowel or skewer to stick it so it doesn't fall off.

Is there a risk of the tiny flowers that i am using for garland on the side of slipping off once i attatch them with bc to the side?

-Some people have done it successfully some people haven't. I think it will be ok as long as it isn't super heavy. Make sure they are completely dry as well.

What about humidity? It is supposed to rain, and be in the 80's. Will this affect the fondant or the BC?

-Humidiy may affect the cake. I have never had a problem with humidity so I can't help on this one.

Good luck.

Weezul Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 7:27pm
post #9 of 9

Thank you so much. I would have never thought of using dowels. I hope it won't split the mushroom & fairy. Maybe i will use a bbq skewer. Thanks for all the great info. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%