Help!! Cake Due In 15 Hours...

Decorating By kkswmmr114 Updated 9 Aug 2009 , 2:03am by BeeBoos-8599_

kkswmmr114 Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 6:56am
post #1 of 24

Oh my gosh... I am so fed up with this cake!! I am doing my first topsy tuvy, but no big deal because the carving went just as planned. The problem is my fondant. I am using SatinIce and when I roll it out as soon as I try to pick it up or put it on the cake it starts ripping!! I have used it to cover whole cakes before, but not too many times. I have no idea what I am doing wrong... I live in a very dry climate- could it be drying out?? If so, what do I do for that?? Or am I taking too long to roll it out?? It takes me forever to get the whole piece rolled out, my arms are throbbing right now because I have tried rolling it out several times now with the same result. Please help!! Any input would be greatly appreciated!!
LL

23 replies
xstitcher Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 7:10am
post #2 of 24

I haven't had this issue and didn't want to steer you wrong especially with the time crunch your under so I did a search and found these links that might help you out:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-628581-satin.html+ice+tearing

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-641623-satin.html+ice+tearing

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-623875-satin.html+ice+tearing

sara91 Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 8:24am
post #3 of 24

looks like it is drying out. Is it getting a leather texture? don't keep adding cornstarch to the bench when rolling out. Knead in a little white fat.

Perhaps you have kneaded and worked it too much. If it is warm where you are and it is too soft. Put the icing in an airtight bag or with plastic wrap, and put it into the fridge for 20 mins to cool down.

Sometimes when I mix up new colours, the icing rests overnight as it needs to firm up again.

Good luck.

Cheyanne25 Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 11:26am
post #4 of 24

I don't know if this is the same problem you're having, but when I work with Satin Ice I find that it does the same thing. My solution is to roll it out and leave it for a bit to stiffen up, that way it seems to stay together much better when I cover the cakes with it.

Hope it goes better for you!

Molly2 Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 11:51am
post #5 of 24

Sounds like you need to add crisco to it seems to be to dry

Molly

kkswmmr114 Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 11:57am
post #6 of 24

Thank you all for your help!! It does seem like it is too dry, I will try kneading in some crisco, and maybe changing my work surface, and see if that works. I have the same problem with gumpaste... It dries out as soon as it hits the air!! Again, thank you for all of your help!!

Texas_Rose Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 12:04pm
post #7 of 24

Gumpaste is supposed to dry out when it hits the air. Fondant should stay soft enough to work with for a little while.

If it doesn't start working better for you, head over to Hobby Lobby or Walmart and pick up a piece of heavy-duty vinyl in the sewing department. Then roll your fondant out on that (grease with a bit of crisco first) and flip it over the cake.

Molly2 Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 12:18pm
post #8 of 24

You also might try rolling it out on vinyl. Put a little shorting in your satin ice than rub some shorting on your vinyl roll it out on your vinyl then place it on your cake with the vinyls help!
that might help keep it from tearing and its easier to handle
Molly

kkswmmr114 Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 12:25pm
post #9 of 24

Well, I just managed to get a piece rolled out and on the cake... but as soon as I did it ripped at the top edge and fell off. I am thinking I am now goign to do a smaller piece and just put it on the top and over the edge, then do another piece to cover the bottom of the cake. I am going to cover all except the top edge as I am going to do the outline of a skyline, so I really need the top edge to be perfect.

Ugh... this is soooo frustrating!! My arms and hands hurt so bad...

lthiele Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 1:58pm
post #10 of 24

I'm hearin' ya - I had a bad fondant day today too! Let's chalk it up to just one of those days, we know we learnt something - just not sure what! lol
icon_confused.gif

jenmat Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 2:11pm
post #11 of 24

remember, just because it comes in a tub and you buy it from a store, doesn't mean they get it right every time. it could be the batch you're using. I've had a terrible time with the consistency of Satin Ice, and I still use it, but I either mix it with Massa Ticino or Mff, and I don't have as many problems. That's not going to help you with this cake necessarily, but a very wise CC'r once pointed out to me that it may not necessarily be ME that is the problem- it may actually be the fondant! What a relief to hear!

Texas_Rose Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 2:14pm
post #12 of 24

My fondant was doing that the other day, but at least mine was homemade and I had tried a new ingredient, so I knew the exact cause of my fondant woes.

Right now it would probably be a good idea to stick the fondant in a bag and just give it (and your arms and back!) a little rest. Sometimes when things are not going well, it helps to take a break...and it will give your fondant time to firm up a bit too.

I just saw that you said you live in a dry climate...you must be somewhere near El Paso because here even without the rain the humidity is a killer...

kkswmmr114 Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 4:29pm
post #13 of 24

I am actually in Amarillo, so I don't think it is as dry here... but it's close!! I ended up just trying my best with it. The bottom tier looks really good because my patch job is completely covered with more fondant, you can't even tell!! My top tier however is a mess... I had to do some major patch work, and then it started pooling at the bottom and wrinkling. I tried to cover most of it up with decorations and I positioned it so the front is the best (although still not that great) looking part of it. At this point I'm just ready to be done with it. It was my first topsy-turvy too, so I'm sure it doesn't look that great anyways!! Lol. Thanks everyone for the advice, I think I will just have to work more with fondant and figure what's going on... Thank you jentreu for that!! It is good to hear that sometimes it really isn't me that is causing the problems!!

-K8memphis Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 4:32pm
post #14 of 24

Is your cake cold? The cold might help arrrest it a little so it doesn't behave so badly. Slow it down maybe.

PinkZiab Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 4:34pm
post #15 of 24

When you are "picking it up" to put it ont he cake, are you picking up the rolled out pieces and draping it over? If so, you're adding stress to the fondant and causing unnecessary stretching. You should roll the fondant up onto your rolling pin, then unroll it back out over the cake... you still need to take care on the top edges (especially if you've possible rolled it too thin), but this technique definitely works better. I use satin ice exclusively and have had very few problems with it.

sweetcakes Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 4:57pm
post #16 of 24

did you colour the fondant yourself or did you use their pre coloured fondant? i have found that adding lots of food colouring into white fondant weakens it and it does just what its doing for you. i dont know how to fix it, expect to roll smaller pieces. you prob wouldn;t have a problem on a regular cake, its just the topsy turvey cake kind needs such a huge piece rolled out.

kkswmmr114 Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 5:00pm
post #17 of 24

I used the pre-colored. I have heard that other people find that it is a little bit more difficult to work with than the white, I think after this I would have to agree.

I also just picked it up off the counter and placed it on. I have tried to roll it around the rolling pin and then unroll it onto the cake but then it all sticks together and I can't unroll it! I will try using the vinyl mat and then inverting it onto the cake, I have heard that works very well too.

Molly2 Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 6:48pm
post #18 of 24

The vinyl works great for me just be sure and put shortening on it

Molly

Rylan Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 7:11pm
post #19 of 24

Sometimes the consistency changes when you color the fondant, making it super stretchy.

cylstrial Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 2:05am
post #20 of 24

How thin are you rolling it? I discovered (thru CC when I first started working with Satin Ice) that I have to roll it pretty thick. When it's thick, even if it stretches a little bit it doesn't tear.

BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 2:20am
post #21 of 24

I wish I could get the rolling pin thing to work for me.

sara91 Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 8:46am
post #22 of 24

I like to mix a little white into the pre coloured fondant as it helps it to be more workable. Especially with dark colours like red and black.

PinkZiab Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 10:43am
post #23 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeBoos-8599_

I wish I could get the rolling pin thing to work for me.

You just have to make sure that the fondant is well dusted with either powdered sugar or cornstarch (I prefer to roll with cornstarch) and it will never stick to itself.

BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 2:03am
post #24 of 24

Rather than sticking to itself it seems like it either stretches out on the pin or gets marks from overlapping. I have tried it with my large plastic wilton roller and with my regular wooden one. now I just slide my hands under pray and move fast lol. I plan to get a piece of vinyl but I have not done it yet.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%