Black And Red Fondant

Decorating By lthiele Updated 12 Aug 2009 , 5:20am by xstitcher

lthiele Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lthiele Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 6:08am
post #1 of 5

I have just completed my second cake using black RTR fondant. This one also had red on it, what a nightmare. I couldn't get it out of the house fast enough when I finished it!. I read to rub shortening on the board to roll them out so that you dont get white spots, but it kept sticking and went really soft.

What do you guys do? Also when you finish a cake with dark colours like this is there something you can brush over any white spots to clean them up without making it sticky?

Should have posted this in cake disasters - I feel so drained after struggling all day! Ended up with an impromptu design after my first attempt at a fondant bow and then stars on wires failed miserably! icon_cry.gif

4 replies
Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 7:30pm
post #2 of 5

Are you talking about the cornstarch/powdered sugar?

If so, just rub shortening on the cake and wipe it off with a paper towel.

lthiele Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lthiele Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 1:23am
post #3 of 5

Thanks Rylan - will that leave shiny patches on the black though? If I do it should I rub all over that section to make it even?

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 4:57am
post #4 of 5

So sorry for the late reply. I am on vacation and the same time, my laptop is broken.

No, it will not leave patches. Make sure you rub shortening on the whole cake and then wipe if off with a paper towel.

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 5:20am
post #5 of 5

The shortening will in time be absorbed by the fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%