Does Anyone Else Get The Pre-Cake Jitters??

Decorating By cupcakeco Updated 10 Aug 2009 , 3:11am by all4cake

cupcakeco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakeco Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 5:53am
post #1 of 19

I am going to be making my first Coach purse cake this weekend. I have made a double batch of BC, dyed all of my fondant, and did the baking earlier tonight. I get started decorating in the morning. I've cut the template for the C's, etcetc, but I still can't help but be nervous!!

I've made many a cake but never a purse, let a lone a "Coach" purse. I'm scared that it won't come out the way I want or well at all! It's nerve wracking! Ack! icon_cry.gif

18 replies
-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 11:44am
post #2 of 19

Yes, every time! I second guess myself all the time (is the colour ok? have I put in enough support? etc etc. I only stop worrying once the delivery is done). I wonder if that will pass as I get busier and more experienced and don't have time for worrying!

Sounds like you are well prepared and ready to go! Good luck! thumbs_up.gif

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 11:50am
post #3 of 19

I do, but not as much as I used to. Last year I would get a migraine when I worked on a big project. Now the only time I have issuses is if I'm not totally clear in my mind on what I'm doing, then I'll wake up tired from having cake dreams.

alidpayne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alidpayne Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 12:07pm
post #4 of 19

don't really get PRE cake jitters. I start out super confident. I am a planner, so while I am in the planning phase I am on my A game. When I start the cake I am still fine. Baking, filling, crumb coating are my least favorite part of the process, but still not nervous, no matter what cake I am making. I am absolutely in "I can do anything" mode. Then about half way through decorating is when I start to panici. LOL

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 12:07pm
post #5 of 19

you'll get less nervous as you do more cakes.........I still pray on the way to deliver wedding cakes icon_smile.gif but most of the time now, when I finish setting it up...I'll think to myself.....wow, I was really calm and collected! I used to shake so bad I could hardly pipe for all the people gathered around watching me........now I don't care so match, except the last cake I did, the photographer was snapping photos of me while I finished the cake ACK!! I wasn't prepared for that, and it threw me off my game a little lol I got in the car to leave and noticed I had frosting on my forehead and my cheek. It was super hot in there and I had a stack of napkins in the bottom of a basket and then had all my piping bags on top of it and everything else I needed.......well I started to sweat on my forehead so I grabbed a napkin and wiped my forehead and side of my face with it....evidentally there was frosting on it! LOL

aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 12:13pm
post #6 of 19

yes, each and every time i make a cake. and i only do this for family and friends. i couldnt imagine if i was getting paid and that added pressure.
my biggest problem is - i always have a vision in my head of what i want my cake to look like, but it never comes out that way. i am a baker not an artists so my cakes never live up to what i planned.
i always say my cakes may not look the greatest, but they taste yummy.

Cheyanne25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cheyanne25 Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 12:14pm
post #7 of 19

I've similiar to alidpayne. I never even think to be nervous before a cake, I just get really excited about having a new cake to take on. But about 3/4 of the way through 75% of my cakes I start to get panicky till I'm done and someone else looks at it and tells me how much they like it lol. Then I'll take another look and think 'yeah I guess it might be nice'.

lol KHalstead! That story made me laugh out loud. I'd be hunting down that photographer haha.

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 12:19pm
post #8 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

I had frosting on my forehead and my cheek. It was super hot in there and I had a stack of napkins in the bottom of a basket and then had all my piping bags on top of it and everything else I needed.......well I started to sweat on my forehead so I grabbed a napkin and wiped my forehead and side of my face with it....evidentally there was frosting on it! LOL

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

cupcakeco Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 2:43pm
post #9 of 19

Thanks so much everyone for the replies. It's good to know that I'm not the only one who psyches myself out....

I'm going to get started in a bit---wish me luck!! I'll be back to post pictures (hopefully good ones HEHE). Thanks again! icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

cupcakeco Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 2:10pm
post #10 of 19

Hi Everyone!

I just want to say thanks again for the boost in confidence...and share a pic of the finished product.

This is the first time I've ever done a purse or a Coach...I'm not 100% that I "Like" how it came out still, but I think it's pretty good for a first try.

Thanks again icon_smile.gif
LL
LL

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 2:12pm
post #11 of 19

I've done so many cakes I usually don't bat an eye.

When I have a new technique to try, or a complicated sculpted cake I can get a little stressed.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 3:13pm
post #12 of 19

First that cake is so AWESOME! If that's your normal level of work, stop stressing yourself out! It looks great!

I dont' stress over cakes. I'm with Mensch ... done so many, it's almost second nature.

But catering? That's migraine season time! My youngest daughter (who has the "pleasure" of working with me) said, "Mom, it always goes right. It's always perfect. So why do you go thru this and stress out?" I tell her, "It's BECAUSE I stress that everything goes well!" icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Had a big wedding (170) yesterday AND a lunch catering for 40. My day started at 7:00 a.m. and ended at 10:30 p.m. On my feet the whole time. Migraine is finally gone. Feet have almost stopped hurting. I'm on the couch for the day with laptop with me and TV remote close by!

So if stressing over your cakes means you get a cake that looks like the one above, then keep the aspirin handy and go at it! thumbs_up.gif

mjk350 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjk350 Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 5:04pm
post #13 of 19

Wow, the cakes look awesome!!! thumbs_up.gif

Sweet-Treats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet-Treats Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 8:13pm
post #14 of 19

I get jitters too, yep and shaky hands. I guess the more you do the less nervous you become. The manager at a reception site where i took at cake recently said to me while i was adding flowers "you couldnt be a surgeon" i had to laugh cause i know its true icon_smile.gif

Sweet-Treats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet-Treats Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 8:14pm
post #15 of 19

Oh, your cake is awesome!!

cupcakeco Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 2:19am
post #16 of 19

Ahh! Thank you so much everyone for your kind words! Indydebi I'm especially flattered by your praise. icon_smile.gif Thanks so much to all.

icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

lthiele Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lthiele Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 2:48am
post #17 of 19

I'm with Indydebi - stress your heart out if that's the outcome! That cake is "Senbloodysational" (that's an Australian word!!! lol icon_lol.gif )

I usually stress the most AFTER the cake is gone. Did it taste ok, did the decorations stay put, did the buttercream slide??? I do a big exhale once i get the feedback.

We will get there!

quilting2011 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
quilting2011 Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 3:10am
post #18 of 19

Cupcakeco-

All I can say your purse cake is gorgeous. I love it.

Don't worry. I just love the details.

Stacie

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 3:11am
post #19 of 19

The cake turned out GREEEEEEEEAT!

(I wouldn't mind tokin' around that purse! Dang, it's perty!)

ETS: totin' not tokin' icon_rolleyes.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%