Wonder Mold For 3D Shark Head?

Decorating By Texas_Rose Updated 7 Aug 2009 , 5:02pm by suz3

Texas_Rose Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 3:56am
post #1 of 7

I need to make a 3D shark's head popping out of a cake. I don't especially feel like carving the whole thing. Do you think it would work to make it out of the wonder mold, then add a mini cupcake on top for the pointy part of the nose and cut out a wedge to be the mouth? I only have little girls, so a shark cake is not exactly part of my repertoire but this friend of a friend won't quit bugging me for it, so I'm trying to think of the easiest way to do it.

6 replies
Doug Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 3:58am
post #2 of 7

or used the wedge removed to make the mouth to make the snout?

sounds worth a try!

Texas_Rose Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 4:01am
post #3 of 7

That's a good idea, using the wedge for the snout. Usually the pieces of cake that I carve off end up falling into hungry little mouths that loiter in my kitchen icon_biggrin.gif

Lelka Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 4:55am
post #4 of 7

I made this using KA 5qt mixing bowl

Texas_Rose Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 5:00am
post #5 of 7

Oh, that's awesome! Did you have to add any dowels to the cake or did it stand up well enough? And how much batter did you use? (just an estimate, if you remember icon_biggrin.gif)

Lelka Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 4:13pm
post #6 of 7

There was support but only in the torso, the head was fine. To be honest I dont remember the batter amount, but as usual you can measure it with 8" pan and see how much you need. I would set temperature a bit lower than 350 to let it bake all the way as evenly as possible.

suz3 Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 5:02pm
post #7 of 7

I made one out of RKT. The cake was the base (water) that the shark was coming out of.

Quote by @%username% on %date%