Sugerveil Pen?

Decorating By dolcebaci Updated 21 Aug 2009 , 5:12pm by chilz822

dolcebaci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolcebaci Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 3:40am
post #1 of 24

I just got back from ICES 09 in St. Charles ...what a blast (my first time..but won't be my last)
I feel in love with Sugarveil, but can not afford the pen. Has anyone ever tried to make their own sugarveil pen?

I know I can use a piping bag..but I think the pen gives me more control.

Any feed back?

Dolce...Toronto

23 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 3:54am
post #2 of 24

I've got the entire kit. Not impressed. Probably my biggest waste of $ on a cake toy ever. But all the stuff in the kit is off the shelf stuff that you can buy anywhere. Aquarium pump, syringes.

alidpayne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alidpayne Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 4:00am
post #3 of 24

I bought a fabric painting pen at a craft store for $20. It is pretty much EXACTLY the same thing as the sugarveil pen. Seriously, check the craft store.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 6:45pm
post #4 of 24

I'd love to try that out. I've been wanting to test their products.

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 8:13pm
post #5 of 24

I tried the pen at the ICES convention, too. It was fun, the design results were pretty, etc. Then, I asked if I could have a little taste of the Sugarveil on my fingertip.

Luckily, I'm one who can keep a straight face when I have to (like last night when I met a woman whose first name is actually "Tissue", but I digress) -- so, I smiled and thanked the woman when what I really wanted to do was spit it right back out. It tasted awful!!

dolcebaci Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 8:28pm
post #6 of 24

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

I have to agree it really does taste bad....but all I want is the look! LOL

SaraJoF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SaraJoF Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 2:01am
post #7 of 24

I'm playing with sugarveil right now. I added a little vanilla flavoring when I mixed it (a few drops in a cup of dry mix) and it now tastes like nothing, I think the vanilla nuetralized the yuck factor icon_smile.gif

Thanks for the tip about fabric painting pen. I'm just piping mine and it's not great. But, i've done some stenciling and am happy with how that's going so far...

SaraJoF Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 2:03am
post #8 of 24

Wow I just realized that was my first post - I've been lurking for awhile! I love CC, thanks to all you who make it so great - i'm hoping to see you all at ICES next year!! icon_biggrin.gif

dolcebaci Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 2:30am
post #9 of 24

I am going crazy up here in Canada trying to find that fabric pen you are all talking about.

I have been calling all the Micheal's in the area and can't find one! Seems they were never shipped to Canada.

So I am keeping my fingers crossed that I can make a road trip to Buffalo and pick one up at down there.

If anyone comes across and extra on...I would pay for the cost + shipping if they could get it up to me.

You would have a new best friend in Canada..."eh" icon_lol.gif

alidpayne Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 11:28am
post #10 of 24

dolcebaci, the Michaels I got mine from is an hour away, but next time I make it there i will definately see if they still have them and pick you one up if they do.

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 11:41am
post #11 of 24

I'm intrigued by the sugarveil.....but what pen are you all talking about?
And what does it have to do with a fabric pen?
Anyone with a minute of time, please explain. Thanks!

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 1:01pm
post #12 of 24

I'm curious as well.. what is all this talk about a sugarveil pen and using a craft pen instead !!!!Please share details!!

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 1:06pm
post #13 of 24

http://www.sugarveil.com/icing_dispenser/index.htm

Here is what I found on it!!! Too expensive for me.. considering I don't know how much I would use it. BUt how would this fabric pen work for this??

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 1:51pm
post #14 of 24

I guess I still don't get it. I thought sugarveil was that icing that you can bend, etc. like on one of the cake challenges when she made a spiderweb and draped it on the cake.

HamSquad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HamSquad Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 2:02pm
post #15 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdonald

I'm curious as well.. what is all this talk about a sugarveil pen and using a craft pen instead !!!!Please share details!!

I would love to know the name or what type of fabric painting pen you found.
Thanks,
Hammy

alidpayne Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 4:48pm
post #16 of 24

Ok, I am the one with the "fabric pen". So maybe I can clarify this for you guys. I bought it last fall @ Michaels. I have no idea if they still have it or not. It is pretty much EXACTLY like the sugarveil pen. It has an air compressor that is battery powered and it has cartridges that you put the icing (meant for fabric paint or glue) in and then they snap into the pen and it has an air hole that you put your finger over to dispense the icing. If your finger is not on the hole nothing comes out, the amount of pressure you use with your finger regulates how much icing comes out.

The pen is called "The Ultimate Fabric Painter". It was $20 @ Michaels craft store last Sept. or Oct. No idea if they still have them or not.

SaraJoF Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 1:00pm
post #17 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by vickymacd

I guess I still don't get it. I thought sugarveil was that icing that you can bend, etc. like on one of the cake challenges when she made a spiderweb and draped it on the cake.

Yes, that is what it is. It's basically royal icing with some xantham gum added to keep it flexible, although I have found it will get stiff if it sets too long and it's not too humid.

The sugar veil people sell an electric applicator pen. Think airbrush, but with icing instead of liquid. This is supposed to make it easy to pipe very thin lines, the pressure is even and you don't kill your hand. Go look at their website (the link is posted somewhere in this thread) and it should all make sense. They also show some beautiful, amazing work out there, so it's wort a look just for that!

I'm still playing with the product, not sure that I'm convinced that I love it yet...

dolcebaci Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 5:17pm
post #18 of 24

i just got the fabric pantier online (ebay) as it seems they are being cleared out at Micheals.
Like everyone else...I am not sure if I want to spend $200+ for the toy just yet. So I will try the fabric pen.

Has anyone tried making their own sugarveil? I have to order a bag online as it is not sold in Canada as of yet.

So this is going to be all trial and error for me! LOL

icon_cry.gif

HamSquad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HamSquad Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 12:16am
post #19 of 24

Does any know anything about the Silkpaint- Silkpainting Air Pen for $144.95 that can be used for cakes at www.dharmatrading.com or
www.dharmatrading.com/html/eng/3715-AA.shtml?

Hammy

alidpayne Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 1:12am
post #20 of 24

The Silkpaint pen looks pretty much like the fabric paint pen I was talking about, maybe a little more high end and had twice as many cartidges, but it looks like it works exactly the same way.

Suewillo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suewillo Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 10:23pm
post #21 of 24

what fabric pen are you all talking about? How can you use a fabric pen on something you eat like cake? And where is the USA are you buying things like this? I am going to the States in September all the way to Louisville and want to know if there is a place there that I can pick up some of these cake pens and things.

Thanks Sue

dolcebaci Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 10:51pm
post #22 of 24

Sue

The Pen is used for fabric paint but you can use it for sugarveil and royal icing also.
I am in Canada and can't find them however i have heard most craft stores down in the USA carry such pens.

it is called a FABRIC PAINT PEN

alidpayne Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 11:31pm
post #23 of 24

The one I have is called "THE ULTIMATE FABRIC PAINTER" we are calling it a pen, but dispenser would be a better description. It is an air pump with a special "pen" tool that has empty cartridges that you put in it. The cartridges are meant to hold paint or glue, but royal icing or sugar veil works in it. I bought mine @ Michaels. Another poster said Michaels is discontinuing them but that she found them on ebay.

chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilz822 Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 5:12pm
post #24 of 24

I just bought this one on eBay for $20 + $9.99 shipping:

http://cgi.ebay.com/AIR-POWERED-FABRIC-PAINTER-FUN-CRAFT-FOR-CLOTHES-ETC_W0QQitemZ220334220070QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item334cf16326&_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

She has more available. If you use the 'Make Offer' option instead of 'Buy it now' and set your offer to $20, it will be accepted. I tried many offers lower, and $20 was as low as I could get it...

edit: This item is backordered and will ship on 9/19

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%