How To Prevent Fondant Creasing?

Decorating By ashleyandlee Updated 7 Aug 2009 , 3:37am by Texas_Rose

ashleyandlee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashleyandlee Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 2:28am
post #1 of 5

Hi everyone! I'm pretty new to using fondant. I've used it plenty of times to make cut outs for other buttercream cakes, but I've only actually covered two cakes in fondant, and both ended up with creases in the fondant (they were round cakes).

I made sure to roll out a lot more fondant than I needed so that I wouldn't have this problem, but it didn't seem to help much.

I have to do a scalloped fondant overlay on a cake tomorrow (see here: http://www.cakeandcandy.com/tieredcakes.jpg). I'm not sure if I am going to have the same creasing problem with this since it's just an overlay, but before I run into the problem again (because I'm starting to get low on fondant and can't afford to make any mistakes!!) I thought I would ask here for any tips you guys may have on preventing creasing?

Thanks so much! I will post a pic of the finished cake later tomorrow. icon_smile.gif

4 replies
crumbcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crumbcake Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 2:47am
post #2 of 5

I am quite sure what you mean by creasing fondant, and also where are the crease? When you cover your cake with fondant, use the fondant smoother and also your hands to smooth any creases. Actually, the heat from your hands helps to smooth wrinkles and creases. If the creases are at the bottom of the cake, gently streach and smooth them away with your hands. I hope this helps.

ashleyandlee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashleyandlee Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 3:07am
post #3 of 5

Thanks, yes they usually end up at the bottom of the cake. I have been smoothing the fondant on the sides and end up with a "buckle" when I get to the end.

this-mama-rocks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
this-mama-rocks Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 3:30am
post #4 of 5

It helps to have your cake "suspended" on a coffee can or something similar. That way, you can smooth the sides all the way down to the bottom and then cut off the excess fondant.

I find it helpful to put a piece of that no-slip drawer liner on my turntable, then the coffee can, then another pice of drawer liner, then the cake layer I'm working on. Good luck!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 3:37am
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by this-mama-rocks

It helps to have your cake "suspended" on a coffee can or something similar. That way, you can smooth the sides all the way down to the bottom and then cut off the excess fondant.

I find it helpful to put a piece of that no-slip drawer liner on my turntable, then the coffee can, then another pice of drawer liner, then the cake layer I'm working on. Good luck!

Exactly what I was going to suggest. That way, the excess hangs past the cake and the creases form below the cake and can be cut away.

I think for the overlay, though, that you won't have many problems with creasing. The problem would more likely be getting stretched out when you pick it up, but you can put it on a flexible mat or sheet of waxed paper and flip it over the cake (just put the pretty side down before you do that so it will be the side that shows when it's on).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%