Sugarshack's Buttercream... Question!!

Decorating By BlackFlour Updated 7 Aug 2009 , 11:49pm by dinie

BlackFlour Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 12:39am
post #1 of 10

I just tried Sugarshack's Buttercream today and it was GREAT! Fluffy, smooth, great! I have a question, can I use the Viva papertowel method on it? Should I let it sit for a little and then try it? I tried it shortly after smoothing it out and it stuck to the Viva paper towel. Did I do it too soon? TIA!!!

9 replies
ncox Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 12:57am
post #2 of 10

Yes, Sharon uses the Viva method in her DVD. And I use it all the time as well. You probably just didn't wait quite long enough for it to crust. Wait a few minutes longer. HTH and good luck!

dinie Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 1:12am
post #3 of 10

I also just made her icing to use tomorrow on my first wedding cake to be delivered saturday so any and all info that I find is going to be so helpful.

Diane

tracycakes Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 1:17am
post #4 of 10

Absolutely you can use the Viva method, just let it crust a little first. After the paper towel, Sharon goes back over it using computer paper and a fondant smoother to get that ultra smooth look.

I have had to make it using Crisco when I ran out of Sweetex and I've struggled getting it to crust. But, using the Sweextex, it crusts great!

BlackFlour Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 1:36am
post #5 of 10

All I know to use is Crisco! What is Sweetex and where do you get it? Is it more expensive? I assumed 'hi ratio shortening' to be Crisco, I had no idea! See how much I learn on cc!! icon_smile.gif

Deb_ Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 1:44am
post #6 of 10

Hi-ratio shortening is a special shortening with emulsifiers made specifically for icing. Crisco is NOT hi-ratio.

You can order it from thebakerskitchen.com.

ncox Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 1:46am
post #7 of 10

Cheerio623 - Unless you have a bakery supply store or live in a big city you will probably have to order 'hi-ratio' shortening. Crisco has removed the trans-fats from their shortening so it doesn't do as good as a 'hi-ratio' does. I've used a store or no-name brand that does have trans-fats and it works good; just look at the label. I just purchased a 50lb block of Super-Quik Blend hi-ratio made by Wesson from a food supplier in the south called Sunday Dinner. I will be making icing this weekend with it and I am hoping for improvements in flavor and workability. HTH!

BlackFlour Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 2:13am
post #8 of 10

Thanks ncox! So i'm better off getting the 'store' or 'off' brand rather than crisco? I had no idea! (shows how much of a newbie i am!!) I used Crisco (an old Crisco, it didn't have the '0 trans fat' on the cover like the new ones do, don't know if it matters) and it turned out light and fluffy and so far everyone has liked it. I'm curious to see how the other brand will do! I"ll check our local store and see! Thanks!!

tracey1970 Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 7:54pm
post #9 of 10

I am in Canada and can't get a name brand of hi-ratio near where I live. I can get a store brand at my local Bulk Barn. If you try your local bulk store, they may have it.

dinie Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 11:49pm
post #10 of 10

I had got my high-mo shortening at a local Amish bulk store last winter when I started cake decorating it was a 50# box. I think I paid around $45.00 for it, which is much cheaper than crisco and I think it taste much better. I have even used it for baking cookies that use shortening in the recipe and they have turned out great also. I will be going and purchasing more here soon because before you know it, it will be christmas and I also bake cookies for the holiday to sell. Also since making Sharon Zambitos icing and liking it much better than the recipe that I had been making previously.
I iced my first wedding cake today with Sharon's recipe and it crusted great.

Diane

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%