Crash Course In Using Petal Dust Please...?

Decorating By -Tubbs Updated 11 Aug 2009 , 12:25pm by drakegore

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 11:59pm
post #1 of 10

I have a wedding cake for this weekend for which I've made about 50 gumpaste roses (first time). They are meant to be burgundy but have faded to a kind of very dark pink. icon_eek.gif

Trying not to be dismayed, I've bought some burgundy petal dust, and from what I have experimented with, everything should be fine if I just dust each flower.

Can I just check with you pros: I dust them before they go on the cake, right? Does the dust come off as the flowers are handled? Is there anything else I should know about this before plowing in?

Many thanks in advance.

9 replies
drakegore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 1:15am
post #2 of 10

giving you a bump up while you wait for the gumpaste experts to sign on icon_smile.gif.

i pass mine (quickly) thru steam to set the dust.

diane

BeeBoos-8599_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 1:30am
post #3 of 10

Definately do the brushing off the cake. You will get loose dust on the cake otherwise. Then go for it. You may end up with red finger tips so you may want to wear gloves. When I use cold porcelain to make roses they dry so pale and allmost see through so I dust the entire flower.

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 2:10am
post #4 of 10

If the roses will have different shades of color in them and you have to go from color to color a great tip i learned here is to clean your brush in between colors with cornstarch. Dip brush in , and rub it on a paper towel...cleans the color right out, no need for washing brushes.

-Tubbs Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 3:08am
post #5 of 10

Thanks for the tips. Keep'em coming!

-Tubbs Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 5:46pm
post #6 of 10

Well, they turned out pretty well actually - I will upload a pic later, once the cake is delivered and I can breathe again. I brushed them all over with the dust, and it made a real difference and made them look really rich - I'm glad I tried it.

Nobody warned me about the burgundy boogers afterwards though!! icon_lol.gif

calicopurr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calicopurr Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 6:10pm
post #7 of 10

Can't wait to see your pics.

-Tubbs Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 10:18pm
post #8 of 10

Here are the roses I did. I was pleased with the way they looked on the cake. The colours completely matched the napkins and table linens when I delivered the cake, so it was definitely worth the extra work!
LL

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 10:31pm
post #9 of 10

Beautiful! Such a rich red...i guess i'm easy to convince since that was my wedding color.lol ;0)

drakegore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 12:25pm
post #10 of 10

gorgeous!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%