Only One Book...

Decorating By DefyGravity Updated 7 Aug 2009 , 3:56am by DefyGravity

DefyGravity Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 10:59pm
post #1 of 7

If you could have only one cake decorating book, which would you choose?

I have a 30% off coupon to a bookstore and want to get a cake book. I know there are a lot of amazing ones out there... which do you suggest I start with?

6 replies
xstitcher Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 11:17pm
post #2 of 7

It really depends on what your most interested in. Is it gp flowers? Figures? General?

For gp flowers I have some books by Alan Dunn, Scott Clark Woolley and Nicholas Lodge. There all great and have a variety of flowers.

I also like Debbie Brown books for the cartoon figures (like Taz) and directions on how she did her whole cake.

Then there's books from folks like Colette Peters (I don't have any of hers yet) and I hear Planet Cakes book is really good (but don't know if it's available here yet) and so many more.

Djor Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 11:37pm
post #3 of 7

Iwill choose one from Colette Peters they are amazing thumbs_up.gif

xstitcher Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 12:56am
post #4 of 7

I forgot to mention Toba Garrett.

diane Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 3:37am
post #5 of 7

i have tons of books and i couldn't pick between which one i'd use. i have several old wilton ones that use mainly icing and show you different techniques, and then there are the books that are for carving cakes and so on. so i would say it depends on what you need them for or what you do the most. icon_wink.gif

Texas_Rose Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 3:50am
post #6 of 7

As long as they don't have the cake books shrinkwrapped, then just take a bunch of them to a table and flip through them to see which one you like the best and seems like it would be the most useful. I have seen some beautiful ones where it just didn't seem like all the directions were there to make the cakes.

I don't remember which book store it was that had the cake books all shrinkwrapped, but I know I didn't buy any from there icon_biggrin.gif

DefyGravity Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 3:56am
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

As long as they don't have the cake books shrinkwrapped, then just take a bunch of them to a table and flip through them to see which one you like the best and seems like it would be the most useful. I have seen some beautiful ones where it just didn't seem like all the directions were there to make the cakes.

I don't remember which book store it was that had the cake books all shrinkwrapped, but I know I didn't buy any from there icon_biggrin.gif

lol, there's no bigger buzzkill than a shrinkwrapped book!!

I think I'm going to hit up the bookstore tomorrow. The inlaws are having the kids for a sleepover, so that will make the trip a lot easier on me! I want to find something that has a bit of variety. Then, I had the fun idea of designing my way through the book, Julie & Julia style, lol. I'm still a noob and figured it'd be pretty challenging to practice against a picture, instead of an idea in my head that I can change when I don't like how something looks or if it seems too hard.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%