Bubble Tea Straw Users Please!

Decorating By bellabakes Updated 7 Aug 2009 , 2:09am by bellabakes

bellabakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bellabakes Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 8:17pm
post #1 of 23

I'm going to use bubble tea straws in a 4-6-8-10-12-14 cake ( each tier will be only probably 3'' so it wont be super tall) Is there a general rule as to how many to use? I want to use enough for it to be supported but not so many that it drives the cake cutters crazy haha.

p.s. please don't respond with "screw bubble tea straws use SPS!" haha I like the idea of SPS but don't have the time or money to get them right now...

22 replies
Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 8:34pm
post #2 of 23

I love bubble tea straws!!!!!

I guess a general estimation would be however many straws, the inches of the cake going on top. I don't really do it that way though...I usually put one in the center and then a circle around it, and for bigger tiers I have the one in the middle, a nice wide circle around it, and then 4-5 between the circle and the center as well.

Tellis12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tellis12 Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 8:37pm
post #3 of 23

Thanks for this info. I'm getting ready to use them in a large wedding cake.

suzzana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzzana Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 8:53pm
post #4 of 23

Could you please tell me where you find the bubble tea straws....haven't been able to find them even online. Also when you do a tiered cake do you just use the bubble tea straws or do you put 1 dowel through all tiers. thanks.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 8:55pm
post #5 of 23

I get mine at a place called "The Restaurant Store" that's just a town over. I'm not sure where to get them online.

I generally use them for support but if its a stacked cake of 3 or more tiers I do still put a dowel down through the middle too, as well as straws under each tier.

cuteums Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cuteums Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 8:58pm
post #6 of 23

I got mine from boba tea direct

http://www.bobateadirect.com/home.php

Use as many straws as you would dowels.

bellabakes Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 9:07pm
post #7 of 23

hey everyone thanks for the advice! I wasn't sure if you usually do less than dowels since they have more surface area..

Suzzana: I looked into ordering them online but they were like $3 a bag plus another $10 for shipping and I wasn't into that... so I looked far and wide and found a tiny oriental market about 10 minutes from my house that had bags of 50 9'' straws for $1.49!! So doing some hunting really can save you!

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 9:23pm
post #8 of 23

I usually use 1 straw for every two inches in diameter, plus one. So for a 12 inch cake, I'd use 7 straws.

For anything over 12 inches ... I'd use one straw for every two inches plus 2. SO for a 16 inch cake going on an 18 inch cake, I'd use 10 straws.

The ones for the every two inches go in a circle. The "plus straws" go toward the middle, but not directly so that I can use a long dowel through the center of the the cake.

I am not sure where I got the formula, but it works for me.

sammie192 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sammie192 Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 9:23pm
post #9 of 23

Hi bellabakes well your cake be stacked like the one kitagrl has in her picture under her name if so, this is what i do I cut a circle of waxed paper the size of thecake thats going on top. to see were to put the dowels(straws) remove paper circle but mark first then put one in center then within circle . cover holes with frosting put paper circle back on and go on to the next layer. hope this helps sammie192

niccicola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
niccicola Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 11:08pm
post #10 of 23

I'm assuming since some of you put a bubble tea straw in the middle, you DON'T dowel the whole cake? Do you stack on site or do you travel with it stacked fully/partially?

Katiekatiekatie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 11:21pm
post #12 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzzana

Could you please tell me where you find the bubble tea straws....haven't been able to find them even online. Also when you do a tiered cake do you just use the bubble tea straws or do you put 1 dowel through all tiers. thanks.

Ha, ha, ha
We posted the same link katie, so I removed mine.

Katiekatiekatie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katiekatiekatie Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 11:24pm
post #13 of 23

I agree they are very sturdy! I havent had any issues using them. I cant say that I have used them for a cake that large but I believe it could work!

Katie

DreamCakesOnline Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DreamCakesOnline Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 11:38pm
post #14 of 23

If you can't find them cheap in a local Asian market or at a cake supply (ours in Charlotte has them), you can get the bubble tea straws on ebay for about the same as the cake shop price here.

SugarBakerz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakerz Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 11:57pm
post #15 of 23

i too used bobateadirect. I love the straws, they are easy to use and inexpensive. There are also thinner options out there.. if you have a McAlister's deli, their tea straws are super firm and you can often purchase a box off of them at cost. Just another option for you to consider... it is their large tea straw by the way. Hope all the information thus far has been helpful to you!

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 12:19am
post #16 of 23

my supermarket has started carrying them (shoprite for those in the NJ/NY area) super cheap, they are in the beverage aisle with regular straws

MelissaMay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MelissaMay Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 12:37am
post #17 of 23

I know this sounds dumb but I use bubble tea's and never used SPS, I don't even know what that stands for, is it more sturdy, how are they used?? Sorry if this is repetetive....thanks!

bellabakes Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 12:43am
post #18 of 23

it stands for single plate separator. I'm pretty sure theres a sticky about it at the top of the How Do I? forum. Lots of people swear by it because its super sturdy but I'm not totally into having to work with/ having to store the pieces etc...

sammie192 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sammie192 Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 12:48am
post #19 of 23

Niccicola I travel with my cakes partially stacked sometimes but I alway dowel the whole cake with or without wood center dowel. I had a cake slide once icon_cry.gif ,after that i dowel everything to much work to lose icon_smile.gif sammie

maam1993 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maam1993 Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 1:01am
post #20 of 23

Are bubble tea straws drinking straws or something else. I've never heard of bubble tea straws.

Maam1993

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 1:13am
post #21 of 23

Yes, they are drinking straws, with a 1/2" diameter opening because they're meant to be used for asian bubble tea, which has tapioca balls Pearls) in it.

MelissaMay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MelissaMay Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 1:13am
post #22 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellabakes

it stands for single plate separator. I'm pretty sure theres a sticky about it at the top of the How Do I? forum. Lots of people swear by it because its super sturdy but I'm not totally into having to work with/ having to store the pieces etc...

Bellabakes, thanks I found it, the pics were especially helpful!!!

bellabakes Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 2:09am
post #23 of 23

No problem melissa!

maam1993: yes they are technically drinking straws, they have a much bigger diameter and are a bit thicker too. The ones that I have are even pretty difficult to bend, especially when cut to 3 or 4 inches.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%