How Early Can I Make A Cake And Decorate It?

Decorating By sarah54 Updated 9 Aug 2009 , 2:15am by Rylan

sarah54 Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 7:47pm
post #1 of 8

I would like make and start decorating a cake tonight that is for a party on Sunday night, would it be okay?

How should I store it?

Thanks!! icon_smile.gif

7 replies
Wesha Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 7:59pm
post #2 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah54

I would like make and start decorating a cake tonight that is for a party on Sunday night, would it be okay?

How should I store it?

Thanks!! icon_smile.gif

You can bake tonight and wrap tight in plastic wrap and put in ziplock bag and freeze it. Tomorrow take it out, let thaw, fill and crumb coat and then ice and decorate on Saturday.

Cookie4 Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 8:15pm
post #3 of 8

You can bake, cool, wrap in saran wrap and refrigerate. I usually bake on Monday or Tuesday for a weekend delivery.

You do not need to freeze for just 2-3 days. The cake will still be moist. Unfortunatelly, I find that the texture of the cake changes when it is frozen, especially for an extended period of time.

sarah54 Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 10:53pm
post #4 of 8

Thank you so much for your help!

apetricek Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 11:19pm
post #5 of 8

I would bake it tomorrow morning first thing, and decorate Friday night at the earliest...although I am crazy when it comes to worrying about cakes being fresh....I also worry depending on the filling....Just me...

Rylan Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 7:46pm
post #6 of 8

I will decorate on a Thursday for a Sunday event. I would do the decorating process on Friday and Saturday.

KCakeSide Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 11:13pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rylan

I will decorate on a Thursday for a Sunday event. I would do the decorating process on Friday and Saturday.

How do you store it between Friday and Saturday? Counter, fridge or freeze?

Rylan Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 2:15am
post #8 of 8

I'm sorry I had a type. Good thing I saw this. I meant I WONT decorate on a Thursday. I usually decorate Friday-Saturday or Saturday-Sunday.

I usually refrigerate my cakes but most people just leave in on the counter in cool room temperature. If you are using perishable fillings then you should always refrigerate it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%