Ri Or Fondant?

Baking By StaceyCakes75 Updated 11 Aug 2009 , 2:20pm by calicopurr

StaceyCakes75 Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 7:45pm
post #1 of 14

I have 2 cookie order and I would love your oppinion.

What do you like to cover your cookies in? fondant with RI accents or flood the whole cookie with RI?? I just cant decide what to do! Fondant seems so much faster! icon_wink.gif

13 replies
pinkcupcake512 Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 8:15pm
post #2 of 14

Hi:
hope this helps..

I use fondant and RI accents..

good luck with your oders..

toleshed Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 8:41pm
post #3 of 14

I also use fondant and RI accents. I use michele Fosters fondant. I love it.
Good luck

calicopurr Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 5:28am
post #4 of 14

For those of you who use fondant and royal, which royal recipe do you prefer?

marccrand Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 5:46am
post #5 of 14

Used to flood with RI, but switched to rolled buttercream. Best of both worlds - fast and tasty!! I use Antonia74 for accents.

calicopurr Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 5:51am
post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by marccrand

Used to flood with RI, but switched to rolled buttercream. Best of both worlds - fast and tasty!! I use Antonia74 for accents.

Is the rolled buttercream as easy to roll, cut and place on a cookie as easy as the fondant? I don't like making fondant, but like the ease of using it. I will buy it someday when I know I have the opportunity to use a big container of it.

marccrand Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 6:27am
post #7 of 14

Well, almost as easy. It stretches and loses shape very easily but the real trick is to make sure that it stays cold while you're working with it.

Take a small ball out of the fridge, roll it out between sheets of waxed paper, cut out your shapes, and then freeze them still on the paper. Then as soon as the cookies come out of the oven, peel off the paper (still as frozen as possible) and place on cookies. The next day they will be firm enough to stack.

It takes a little practice, but the taste and ease of it is well worth the hassle! Let me know if you try it out sometime.

calicopurr Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 4:21am
post #8 of 14

Excellent advice. I will search for a rolled buttecream recipe. Thank u.

TracyLH Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 1:09pm
post #9 of 14

Quick question - if you don't mind. How thick do you roll the fondant? I used Michelle Foster's (tasted great!), but went too thick I think. Very sweet. How thick should I be going?

calicopurr Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 1:13pm
post #10 of 14

I like 'fondant' about 1/8 in. thick. I did some 1/4 and they were still good, but I like sweets.

TracyLH Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 1:17pm
post #11 of 14

Thanks, Calicopurr!

Cristi-Tutty Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 1:26pm
post #12 of 14

Hello I have never tried the rolled butter cream. I just want to share this recipe that I found here.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1603-Rolled_Buttercream_Icing_Recipe.html

I hope it will be helpful

FullMoonRanch Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 2:09pm
post #13 of 14

Thanks for the tip on freezing the RBC marccrand! I did some cookies with RBC for the first time a week or two ago. Real easy to use but if I froze it I bet it would have been easier!

calicopurr Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 2:20pm
post #14 of 14

I wonder why the recipe that Christina just posted says to freeze it. Then it says to let it come to room temp before rolling. Doesn't it roll easier if it's slightly chilled? I know there's a recipe for rolled buttercream at allrecipes.com. I'm going to go look at that one and see about the freezing and room temp for that one. Thanks everyone.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%