Internet Business Only

Business By michellewells Updated 11 Aug 2009 , 3:52pm by giraffe11

michellewells Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 7:40pm
post #1 of 9

Hello to all my cake bakers!!!

I have enjoyed baking for a long time and I have recently been doing cakes and cookies for about a year now for family and friends and would really like to take it to the next step. However, I have don't have the funds right now to open a bake shop and I was looking at doing an Internet Based company. I was wondering if the IL laws of not being able to have a "Home Based Baking Company" still apply for an Internet based company. Does anyone know or is anyone in IL currently doing this? If so, I could use some help on what is needed or if it is even possible.

Thanks so much...

8 replies
Lenette Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 8:06pm
post #2 of 9

I believe the same regulations apply if you are selling food to the public whether internet based or not. Call your county health department and they will be able to tell you what is required for your area.

HTH! icon_smile.gif

veronica720 Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 8:27pm
post #3 of 9

You still have to bake the cakes somewhere, so internet or not does not really apply.

michellewells Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 2:07pm
post #4 of 9

Thanks you guys for you help.

michellewells Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 2:11pm
post #5 of 9

Is anyone in IL currently selling as an Internet based company? If so, I could use some help to get started. Are you renting out a kitchen to do this? What steps did you take to do this?

giraffe11 Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 2:31pm
post #6 of 9

The health code rules apply for where the food is made and packaged. It doesn't matter whether you sell them from the internet, the newspaper, a magazine ad, or from your front door, whatever. They are no health-code rules concerning mode of advertising.
If you are thinking of trying to skirt the law, which is highly frowned on here at cake central, then internet is probably the worst thing you can do, b/c it makes it much easier to catch you breaking the rules. I know several women who sell here, without paying attention to health-code laws, but they only go by word-of-mouth. They would never even think of opening a website....too risky.
If you are trying to ignore rules, and I am certainly not saying that you should, then the smartest thing to so is fly under the radar.

michellewells Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 3:15pm
post #7 of 9

Thanks giraffe11... I am not trying to skirt around the laws. I am new to this and just trying to find people that might be able to help guide me in the right direction and take the necessary steps to become legal.

I really enjoy baking and I would love to take it to the next level. Right now I do a lot for friends, family, and coworkers and I have a number of people that encouraging me to go open a business somewhere. I have a business background, but I know nothing about the food industry and what I need to do to go legit. Such as what are the potential cost to open a bake shop or rent a kitchen, how successful has anyone been doing this, and so on.

So if there is anyone out there in IL that has done this, I would greatly appreciate any help that you can give me.

tiggy2 Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 3:46pm
post #8 of 9

If you call your local Health Dept. they will be able to guide you in the right direction.

giraffe11 Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 3:52pm
post #9 of 9

There is also a helpful "sticky" post here in the business forums, which has a synopsis of rules from each state. Good luck in whatever you decide to do. I am just a hobbyist, but I have often thought that if I were to do it for real, a web-site-based business would be the thing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%