Real Ribbon On Cake

Decorating By carlascakes Updated 7 Aug 2009 , 5:56am by Rylan

carlascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carlascakes Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 7:34pm
post #1 of 15

ok so i am doing a cake for sept 26 and it is going to be fondant covered square cake with real ribbon at the bottom. i need to know how to attach it

14 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 7:50pm
post #2 of 15

Don't ribbon with the wire in it. I may be just bad at it, but it cuts into the cake. I originally thought the wire would help hold the shape, but it was almost a total disaster.

I just wrap the ribbon around the base and attach it in the back with a blop of icing.

carlascakes Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 8:44pm
post #3 of 15

thanks and there is no wire in this ribbon it can from davids bridal and i just do not want to mess it up has anyone ever used the double sides sticky square like in scrap booking

carlascakes Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 3:22am
post #4 of 15

bump

ashleyandlee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashleyandlee Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 3:29am
post #5 of 15

I always attach it with two small pins. I let the customer know about the pins so they make sure to take them out before cutting/eating!

Bonavolonta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bonavolonta Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 3:43am
post #6 of 15

I put a black ribbon around my sisters wedding cake and it was a pain! I wish I would've just made a fondant ribbon. It rippled and refused to stay flush with the cake. I finally just "painted" the back of the entire ribbon with buttercream to make it stick. I worked but I ended up with a few dark patches from the grease. I wish I would've know about CC and all these great tips everyone shares back then!

Skidoochic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Skidoochic Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 4:03am
post #7 of 15

I have used wired ribbon and I think it worked fine. The picture of Veronica's cake is a wired ribbon. I ironed the ribbon with wax paper (a tip from this site - thanks!) and the buttercream grease did not show through the ribbon. I also attached the ribbon with double-sided tape. I am not sure if that held up through the whole wedding. I know when setting up the cake, I had to go back and re-tape it twice and then I had to break a few toothpicks to hold it. So - I would say that didn't work the greatest - but it was an outside wedding and it was 95 degrees, so that may have had something to do with it too. Good luck with whatever you choose! icon_smile.gif

carlascakes Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 4:23am
post #8 of 15

so how do you do the wax paper thing

Skidoochic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Skidoochic Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 4:27am
post #9 of 15

Somewhere on here someone described it. What I did was take a brown paper bag, a piece of wax paper, with the waxy side down, and a hot iron. I laid out as much ribbon as I thought I would need, put the wax paper on top of the ribbon, tore the bag into wide strips and placed a strip over the area I was going to iron. Ran the iron across the paper bag, wax paper and ribbon and repeated until all the ribbon had a wax coating. You can't really see the wax coating, but if you put your ribbon right up against the cake without a coating, the grease will soak through. Putting the wax coating on the ribbon seemed to stop the problem.

I hope that helps!

carlascakes Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 4:31am
post #10 of 15

so after i do this will i be able to use bc to attach the ribbon to the cake

LaLuCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaLuCakes Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 4:43am
post #11 of 15

i use piping gel. i wrap the ribbon around and overlap the ends with piping gel. i have never had a problem with it.

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 4:45am
post #12 of 15

I use the clear pipng gel to attach mine. That stuff is good and sticky.

StaceyCakes75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StaceyCakes75 Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 4:51am
post #13 of 15

You can also use a little RI with 2 pins to hold it in place until it dries and remove the pins. I would NEVER give a cake to a customer with pins in it, even if you do tell them. There is too much room for human error. Someone could forget and that is just a recipe for disaster.

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 4:58am
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaceyCakes75

You can also use a little RI with 2 pins to hold it in place until it dries and remove the pins. I would NEVER give a cake to a customer with pins in it, even if you do tell them. There is too much room for human error. Someone could forget and that is just a recipe for disaster.

I absolutely agree. That seems like an accident just waiting to happen.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 5:56am
post #15 of 15

I will never use pins to attach ribbons. Actually, I wouldn't use a real ribbon for my cakes.

Anyways, I suggest you overlap both ends of the ribbon and attach double sided tape.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%