How Far In Advance Can You Make Fondant Animals?

Decorating By adamsmom Updated 7 Aug 2009 , 7:28pm by Rylan

adamsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adamsmom Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 7:11pm
post #1 of 8

I am going to make a farm themed cake for my son's first birthday. So far I have made 2 practice cakes and the second one turned out great. My question is how far in advance can you make the animals if they are out of fondant? It would be alot easier to make them a few days ahead if it would be possible, but I wasn't for sure if that would work. Thanks for any input!

7 replies
cindy1176 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy1176 Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 7:27pm
post #2 of 8

You can make them weeks ahead of time. If you want them to stay pliable, be sure to put them in an airtight container. Be sure to keep them out of sunlight, as they will fade. You can also make flowers way ahead of time. HTH

adamsmom Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 7:38pm
post #3 of 8

That is very helpful. One more question then. So if I would like to cut out the number "1" to be able to add to the cake and have it hard, then would I just need to leave the fondant covered, but out (not in an airtight container)?

cindy1176 Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 8:49pm
post #4 of 8

Correct...or you can mix it with some gumpaste or tylose powder. Something I do is put a candy stick on the back of a number to stick into the cake further...makes it stand upright.

cindy1176 Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 8:50pm
post #5 of 8

Oh, I forgot to add that when I put the stick on the back, I attach it with melted candy melt that I have colored to match the number. HTH

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 9:03pm
post #6 of 8

When I make a fondant cut-out or figure I do NOT cover it..... just allow to dry at room temp (in a safe place) unless it is very humid where you live. It will dry hard in a day or so. If you make it thick enough you can embed the stick in the item....most of the time I use 2 toothpicks unless it is a very heavy/large item.
Yes, mix in some gumpaste, Tylose powder or GumTex. It doesn't take much - maybe a teaspoon to a golf ball size hunk of fondant.

adamsmom Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 12:57pm
post #7 of 8

Thanks for all of the info! You all have been very helpful! I can't wait to make the final cake for his birthday. I will post a picture of it as soon as I can. Still have 3 weeks before the party. Thanks again!

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 7:28pm
post #8 of 8

Good luck.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%