Bc Tastes Greasy Like Shortening...yuk

Baking By jewels710 Updated 6 Aug 2009 , 8:23pm by Amyelitza69

jewels710 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewels710 Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 6:49pm
post #1 of 11

I need a fairly heat resistant, crusting ...YUMMY, non greasy buttercream.

Does this recipe exist???
My BC lately seems to be greasy.

PS ...having trouble finding hi-ratio shortening and I need to make BC tomorrow!

THANKS

Also, whats the diff between hi-ratio and crisco?

10 replies
Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 6:57pm
post #2 of 11

Before I read your entire post my first thought was to tell you to get hi-ratio shortening.

You can order it on-line from the bakerskitchen.com but you don't have time for that now.

To me any recipe I've tried that includes crisco tastes greasy/slimy. I personally would rather use an all butter recipe and keep the cake cool.

Hi-ratio shortening was developed especially for icing. It has emulsifiers that help to absorb the liquid in your recipes. It does not leave that greasy/slimy film in your mouth and it stands up better to heat.

I strongly recommend that you order some for your next cake, you won't ever go back to Crisco once you've tried hi-ration.

2 brand names Alpine or Sweetex.

Sugarshack has a great recipe here in the recipe section.

Good luck!

MeggieBeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MeggieBeth Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 7:08pm
post #3 of 11

What is the purpose of using shortening in buttercream? I've used it in buttercream for decorating, but never for icing. My recipe uses butter only. When you use shortening, do you use butter also, or just flavoring? Sorry, I'm new to all this and just learning!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 7:12pm
post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeghanTrammell

I've used it in buttercream for decorating, but never for icing.

Huh?

MeggieBeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MeggieBeth Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 7:21pm
post #5 of 11

In my wilton 1 class, we made 2 different buttercreams. One (with shortening) we were told to "ONLY use for decorating as it is too greasy to eat large amounts of". The other used only butter and we were told to ice the cake with it. I hope that makes more sense.

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 7:22pm
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeghanTrammell

What is the purpose of using shortening in buttercream? I've used it in buttercream for decorating, but never for icing. My recipe uses butter only. When you use shortening, do you use butter also, or just flavoring? Sorry, I'm new to all this and just learning!

It's suppose to help your buttercream withstand higher temperatures.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 7:57pm
post #7 of 11

The taste, to each person, is affected by what they're used to. but if you have too much crisco in the recipe, then it will taste greasy.

I know that sounds too simplistic icon_redface.gif , but I tried a different recipe once and thought it was odd that the recipe called for more than twice the crisco than I used in my regular icing. omg, I GAGGED on that crap! If that had been my first exposure to a crisco-based icing, I never would have tried another one again.

My icing has 1-1/3 cups of crisco to 2 lbs of p.sugar. Anything at or more than 2 cups fat to 2 lbs. p.sugar, I get suspect of ... for taste and for performance.

jewels710 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewels710 Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 8:02pm
post #8 of 11

Thanks for your help.
I will try again tonight to see what I can come up with. icon_sad.gif to icon_smile.gif I hope!

Wesha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wesha Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 8:05pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jewels710

I need a fairly heat resistant, crusting ...YUMMY, non greasy buttercream.

Does this recipe exist???
My BC lately seems to be greasy.

PS ...having trouble finding hi-ratio shortening and I need to make BC tomorrow!

THANKS

Also, whats the diff between hi-ratio and crisco?

If you can not afford the high-ratio, get store brands like Food Lion or Walmart Brands that have the Trans Fat in there. Also, use half of the store brand shortening and half butter. It tastes great and it is not greasy. It is light and creamy.

hilly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hilly Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 8:12pm
post #10 of 11

Also, sometimes if I don't "whip" it long enough before adding everything else, it has that film that sticks to your mouth. I do about 2 c. shortening to 2 lbs. PS, any bit less and it's filmy - I may take indydebi's advice and use a little less shortening next time and see how I like it. I definitely prefer doing partial butter/partial shortening but in the climate I live in, I'd have a puddle around each cake.

Like the PP's have said though, definitely don't use Crisco brand. Use store brand, Walmart & HEB's have both worked fine for me.

Amyelitza69 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amyelitza69 Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 8:23pm
post #11 of 11

I use Crisco the regular (Blue) I never use the flavor one. You can add more flavor if you need it. And you can also batter for more time. I use the Wilton recipe and mine taste like whip frosting.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%