Question On Using Luster Dust

Decorating By suedepp Updated 6 Aug 2009 , 6:24pm by warmshade

suedepp Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 5:59pm
post #1 of 6

Hi everyone -

I have seen some really beautiful cakes on this site that look very shiny and sparkly. I am guessing luster dust is used on the cakes to get this effect. My question is, how is luster dust used? How do you get an entire cake to look uniformly shiny? Can luster dust only be used on fondant to get this effect? Or is it not luster dust at all that is used but something else?

Thanking everyone in advance for any advice you can give me.

5 replies
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 6:06pm
post #2 of 6

HI and Welcome!
I use luster dust alot on fondant and some people use it on other icings as well. I personally think it looks the best on fondant because it tends to show flaws and stick to higher points. You can mix it with alcahol or extracts for painting but it takes very little powder and just a few drops of liquid them mix it very well.

As for how it is used, very sparingly would be my suggestion. I have a selection of art brushes that I use dedpending on what I am putting it on. For covering an entire cake I purchased a very large fluffy makeup brush. I dip the very end of the brush then tap off the excess and lightly brush the cake. You shoud be able to get it pretty uniform as long as you use a light hand and a large brush. It can be a bit adictive so remember less is more. icon_smile.gif I hope that helps.

suedepp Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 6:12pm
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeBoos-8599_

For covering an entire cake I purchased a very large fluffy makeup brush. I dip the very end of the brush then tap off the excess and lightly brush the cake. You shoud be able to get it pretty uniform as long as you use a light hand and a large brush. It can be a bit adictive so remember less is more. icon_smile.gif I hope that helps.

Thanks BeeBoos! That's a great suggestion. Running out right now to find a large make-up brush.

sara91 Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 6:17pm
post #4 of 6
tatorchip Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 6:19pm
post #5 of 6

yes great idea on make-up brush, I will also get one

warmshade Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 6:24pm
post #6 of 6

On the wedding cake I did(in my photos the lilac one with roses) for my boyfriends sister I was supposed to have gumpaste roses with a lavender shimmer but the humidity killed that idea. They got married at a camp ground three states away...in August. So we bought some real roses, but I still used the luster dust on them for the shimmer effect. I was on location and assembling and decorating at the camp ground and the person who packed the car forgot the bag with half my tools. I found that if I took the little jar of luster dust and held the open jar just under the front of my mouth and blew over the top of it. NOT INTO THE JAR THOUGH!!! Big Mess.
But the air moving over the top of the jar carries the super light luster dust and it lands on the cake and stays. not a very sophisticated method and certainly not accurate but it gave it the right effect. Have a lot of fun with it though its cool stuff to work with.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%