How To Attach To Fondant??

Decorating By cotabeth Updated 6 Aug 2009 , 10:07pm by Malakin

cotabeth Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 5:46pm
post #1 of 4

I'm working on my first fondant cake this weekend...a Brewer's baseball cap. Thanks to many on this site, I have completed the brim in gumpaste and crumb coated my cake to be carved (which I plan to cover in fondant), but could someone tell me what I use to apply the 'gumpaste' logo to the fondant covered hat? Piping gel? like I said it's my first fondant cake, help is appreciated! Thanks in advance! Beth

3 replies
marknelliesmum Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 9:18pm
post #2 of 4

Hi there
You should be able to just use some water - the sugar and water mix is usually enough for me to stick things on to fondant. Word of warning - depending on the size of your logo - if your logo dries flat but needs to be stuck to a curved bit of the cake it may break as you try to stick it round the curve ( not explaining myself very well - hope you know what i mean), i've learned this through experience, it's best to be able to stick stuff down while it is still pliable to avoid breakages or things not sticking securely.
HTH
x

dennettesdelectables Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 9:38pm
post #3 of 4

definitly agree with marksmum on the shaping...if you are applying it to a curved surface make sure that you apply before it hardens or it will break if it has hardened flat. as far as applying it, you could use any of the following: clear vanilla, vodka, gin, or what I was just introduced to is a gumpaste glue....you take a small ball of gumpaste and dissolve in a little bit of water(very little bit) until the gumpaste dissolves and you have a sort of opaque fluid, and use that to brush on the back of your applique!
HTH

Malakin Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 10:07pm
post #4 of 4

I also have used vodka, water, gumpaste glue, piping gel (which doesn't really dry), vanilla....but the best I have used is a little bit of Tylose powder mixed into a small amount of water. Just enough to make a little thin gel type liquid. I use a very little amount to attach the item. This always helps with the heavier plaques and pieces I attached to bc or fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%