Fondant Problem....need Help Fast!

Decorating By Newatdecorating Updated 8 Aug 2009 , 2:15am by Libberator3000

Newatdecorating Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 5:18pm
post #1 of 13

I am going to try and mold something out of fondant. Right now I am rolling the fondant into a ball and was planning to start molding from there. My problem is that my fondant ball is cracking! What am I doing wrong??????

12 replies
costumeczar Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 5:20pm
post #2 of 13

If you're using corn stach or powdered sugar to keep the fondant from sticking to your hands it might be getting too dry. Try using a little crisco on your hands instead, that might help. I never use any kind of powdered anything when I work with fondant or gumpaste, only shortening.

Newatdecorating Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 5:23pm
post #3 of 13

Thanks.....I'm using Crisco and it's still doing it.

kakeladi Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 5:26pm
post #4 of 13

You may need to knead some liquid or more shortening into the whole ball.

Newatdecorating Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 8:02pm
post #5 of 13

Thought I would try again to see if I can get more suggestions. I've added more Crisco, tried the water and the fondant is still wanting to crack and separate. Very frustrating!

Please, please, please let me know what you think.

costumeczar Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 10:49pm
post #6 of 13

What fondant are you using? Maybe it wasn't made right or something!

ambercscott87 Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 10:54pm
post #7 of 13

man, guess I should have checked with you guys before I threw it all out. =( oh well, at least it wasn't too expensive to make. i'll definately try that next time and see if it helps. Any other tips for MMF? Also, which recipes do you recommend for it?

-K8memphis Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 11:02pm
post #8 of 13

Did you knead it well before you used it? You need to freshly knead it to get it all warm and usable and woken up. Knead it all the way through--not just a coupla licks.

Fondant thought for you.

ambercscott87 Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 11:55pm
post #9 of 13

yeah, I did knead it alot! i definately don't think under-kneading was the problem.

Newatdecorating Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 12:56am
post #10 of 13

I was using Fondx fondant mixed with some gumpaste. Approximately 50/50. I ended up just going with fondant and it was a little better. Still wanted to crack, but not as bad. I was only working with a small amount and would have thought that I kneaded it enough, but who knows! I haven't worked with any of this much, so it's still all new.

Ambercscott87 - You might want to go back to the beginning of this post. You've gotten on this post by mistake. This advice being given is in response to questions that I asked. I noticed that you've gotten several responses on your post.

ambercscott87 Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 1:15am
post #11 of 13

i'm sorry!! I clicked the wrong link. oops!

ambercscott87 Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 1:15am
post #12 of 13

i'm sorry!! I clicked the wrong link. oops!

Libberator3000 Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 2:15am
post #13 of 13

Newatdecorating, I'm new at fondant, too, and I also use FondX. I use it straight to make gumpaste. If they don't have to stand up on long legs or something, it should work ok. I've made cats and bows that way and it has worked great. My fondX was smooth and nice right out of the tub. Make sure yours is not old or has not been left open to get dry.

I used cornstarch, as well, and it never cracked while I was kneading. Is it newly opened? Should be pretty soft.

Quote by @%username% on %date%