What Would You Do...

Decorating By MarieF Updated 6 Aug 2009 , 5:41pm by ccr03

MarieF Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 4:52pm
post #1 of 7

I made a 3D Castle cake, using the whole Wilton Castle Set for someone.

I gave her 2 prices for the cake, 1 if she returned the castle kit, 1 if she didn't. She chose the return the Castle kit price.

Surprise, Surprise, she hasn't returned the castle kit and "claims" that it got thrown away, and I stupidly didn't take a deposit because I trusted her.

When I asked for the kit to be returned, she just said Sorry it was beyond my control my father threw it out, basically too bad so sad.

I have emailed her once and called her once saying no its not too bad you owe me the money. She refuses to answer me.

Is it a lesson learned/Suck it up? Or should I be pursuing this further? It is really irking me because she is ignoring me. If I pursue it, do I call the police? I dont know what to do.

6 replies
Auryn Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 5:01pm
post #2 of 7

what is the outstanding value that she owes you?
Do you know this person personally or are they just a random customer???

MarieF Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 5:08pm
post #3 of 7

The retail value of the kit where we live is $40, so that is what she owes me and she is just a regular customer.

I'm not a "pay the rent" business, I'm a stay at home, little bit of extra money business.

__Jamie__ Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 5:09pm
post #4 of 7

Call the police over a castle kit? I would not do that. Not taking deposits will usually end up biting you in the rear at some point. Probably better chalk this one up to lesson learned. I decided from the get go I would not ever use anything I would need back, ever. I don't want the hassle of deposits and having to wait on someone bringingme something back. No thanks! If I ever did a castle kit, the cost would be built into the price, period. No option of getting it back. I wouldn't want it back.

MarieF Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 5:14pm
post #5 of 7

That is a good option, I'm just starting out. Just trying to learn from the pros icon_smile.gif

PinkZiab Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 5:35pm
post #6 of 7

This is a lesson learned. The best way to do it would have been to charge her full price (for the kit and all) and had she returned the kit, you could have refunded her that portion (as if it had been a deposit). I personally work all of that stuff into the price of the cake and call it a day... I can't be bothered with deposits and chasing people down for things.

ccr03 Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 5:41pm
post #7 of 7

I would chalk it up as lesson learned BUT I would also mail her a bill and then another one every 30 (that's what my dentist does). And if she EVER orders a cake from you again, add the price on to the new order. Tell her it is her outstanding balance.

Quote by @%username% on %date%