Need Help With Stl Cardinals Birthday Cake

Decorating By AXOCutie143 Updated 7 Aug 2009 , 8:24pm by JGMB

AXOCutie143 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AXOCutie143 Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 4:31pm
post #1 of 5

I'm making this cake for my husband for his 25th birthday. I had a few ideas, but I wanted to run them by someone else so they're not just bouncing around in my head icon_smile.gif

I know I want to make a baseball cap. I have the Confetti Cakes book, and also a bunch of tutorials on here, so I'm thinking I'll use half the ball pan and a 6 inch round, covered in red Satin Ice. I'm making the bill out of gum paste on top of a real baseball cap. My real problem is what to put UNDER the hat. I originally thought about making 2 11 x 15 sheet cakes and carving them to look like home plate and covering it in fondant with graham cracker "dirt". I'm worried that it might be TOO much cake though. My second thought was a 12" round covered in green grass (love that tip) with smooth sides. Would that have less total servings?

Also, has anyone ever brought a cake to a ballpark? We're getting a party room, and I really want to bring the cake to the game, but I don't know if that's allowed.

4 replies
AXOCutie143 Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 3:18pm
post #2 of 5

Anyone? icon_sad.gif

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 3:26pm
post #3 of 5

can't answer about what to put under until know how many servings you need.

Home plate idea is great. Could do it with just a 9x13 and single layer instead of double

as for bringing a cake, I'd just call the people who you contacted to rent the room. They should know.

(side thought -- and imagine if they had been the St. Louis Clydesdales!)

AXOCutie143 Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 3:45pm
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

can't answer about what to put under until know how many servings you need.

Home plate idea is great. Could do it with just a 9x13 and single layer instead of double

as for bringing a cake, I'd just call the people who you contacted to rent the room. They should know.

(side thought -- and imagine if they had been the St. Louis Clydesdales!)

STL Clydesdales. Now THAT would have made for an interesting cake icon_wink.gif

There will probably be 30 people at the party, so no matter what I'm probably going to have extra cake. Luckily my hubbys co-workers have already claimed dibs on the remains icon_wink.gif

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 8:24pm
post #5 of 5

I just made a baseball-themed cake and did the round layer with grass on top (see photo) -- I also put a scoreboard with the stats from the recent shut-out game. The cake was a big hit, although I see glaring errors -- bad baseball pun, sorry!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%