Cakes + Crafts?

Lounge By Lenette Updated 7 Aug 2009 , 4:37am by turtle3264

Lenette Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 4:26pm
post #1 of 6

Does anyone do other crafty/creative type things for a living? Or to earn extra money?

I was just curious since I recently picked up some of my old habits (sewing and the like) and wondered if I could use those skills to make a little extra money too.

Even though my kids are in school (and the tuition is killer), I have not found a job flexible enough to allow me to work outside my home. It is on me to be available for days when there is no school, sick kids etc. Truthfully, I haven't worked a traditional job in so long I am not sure I want to.

So, anyone else out there patching together a few skills/talents to make ends meet?

5 replies
-Tubbs Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 6:25pm
post #2 of 6

No, I don't, but I would love to! I'm in the same position. Have had three kids in three different schools (this year two will go to the same school - yippee!), but at the same time my DH is hinting not-so-gently that he would really like some help making money! My cake business is just not busy enough to bring in real cash right now.

I have heard that people will pay well for proper hand-made quilts.
Do you sew well enough to make wedding/bridesmaid dresses?
If you have a licenced kitchen, what about small-scale catering, e.g. you're doing the cake for a small family party, why not offer to do their appetizers etc too? (this is something I'm thinking of diversifying into)

Just some thoughts - I will watch this with interest...

nanikins Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 7:16pm
post #3 of 6

Check out You might be able to sell some of your work there.

chilz822 Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 7:20pm
post #4 of 6

I have a full-time job and also make jewelry on the side (oh, and cakes!). My jewelry supports my cake habit!... it's a vicious circle!

check me out!

-Tubbs Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 7:32pm
post #5 of 6
Originally Posted by nanikins

Check out You might be able to sell some of your work there.

And of course I had some cookies listed there for a while, and got a few enquiries, but no orders, unfortunately. Etsy's good for all kinds of hand-crafted things.

turtle3264 Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 4:37am
post #6 of 6

I bought an embroidery machine from Wal-Mart for $350. I make cups with the child's name on it. I also embroider baby blankets, purses for little girls and bibs. I don't sell a lot of them, but it comes in handy when you have to give a baby shower gift too. I also got lots of ideas from etsy.

Quote by @%username% on %date%