How To Count Extra Servings In A Taller Cake?

Decorating By emiyeric Updated 7 Aug 2009 , 11:08pm by emiyeric

emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 2:26pm
post #1 of 3

I usually either carve my cakes, or just do straightforward two-layer tiers, and am quite comfortable with that. But I love love LOVE the way the different-height tiers look, where an extra layer or two are thrown in on one of the tiers to make a taller cake. How would you go about cutting these cakes, though? I could easily calculate the number of servings I OUGHT to get from the sheer amount of cake I have, but I still only have one side with icing, so I don't want to cut that serving in half and present someone with a slice with no buttercream ... so do you usually just make the slices more narrow but taller? Any help from people who have done this before would be greatly appreciated! icon_smile.gif

-Emi.

2 replies
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 3:55pm
post #2 of 3

you can do taller slices, but then, you need to make sure the slice still fits on a plate! so you might be better doing two cakes with a board inbetween, so you can serve your regular (tho maybe a bit shorter) sizes.
xx

emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 11:08pm
post #3 of 3

Thanks for the suggestions! That sounds about right ... I'll try my hand at a nice tall cake soon enough icon_smile.gif.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%