Gold Icing

Decorating By UKCatCrazy Updated 6 Aug 2009 , 8:36pm by nyclightskin

UKCatCrazy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UKCatCrazy Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 1:48pm
post #1 of 8

Can anyone advise of the best way to tint a nice gold color? Also I've read posts about "painting" on the Gold dusting powder for the Metallic Gold color. How well does this work and what is the best way to mix and apply the color? The couple chose black and gold because the graduated from Purdue, so that's the gold color I'm trying to create. Thanks again for your input!!

7 replies
tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 2:01pm
post #2 of 8

The brightest color fir gild is handpainting with the luster dust diluted in vodka or lemon extreact.
But you can add the dust to piping gel and have another style..It really depends on your design.

The question is do you want your whole cake in gold, or just some piping?

Edna icon_smile.gif

suz3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suz3 Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 2:04pm
post #3 of 8

Americolor has the color "gold". I used it in icing for a crown and then sprayed with OMR gold luster spray. I was happy with the color.

UKCatCrazy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UKCatCrazy Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 4:53pm
post #4 of 8

I'm wanting two 6in gold heart cakes. I've got some of the gold dust, but where can you get the spray? I'm going to experiment with the painting tonight. Anyone know how much liquid do I add to the dust?

suz3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suz3 Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 5:40pm
post #5 of 8

I had to order the spray online. Don't remember where.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 7:31pm
post #6 of 8

If you have an airbrush they sell gold for airbrush. If i am not wrong they the can of gold
www.globalsugarart.com
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Bugaboo_Bakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bugaboo_Bakery Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 8:19pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKCatCrazy

I'm wanting two 6in gold heart cakes. I've got some of the gold dust, but where can you get the spray? I'm going to experiment with the painting tonight. Anyone know how much liquid do I add to the dust?

Add enough lemon extract to the luster dust so it is the consistency of paint. Practice on little bit of fondant to make sure it is right before you put it on your cake. Painting with luster dust is FUN!!

nyclightskin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nyclightskin Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 8:36pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKCatCrazy

Can anyone advise of the best way to tint a nice gold color? Also I've read posts about "painting" on the Gold dusting powder for the Metallic Gold color. How well does this work and what is the best way to mix and apply the color? The couple chose black and gold because the graduated from Purdue, so that's the gold color I'm trying to create. Thanks again for your input!!

I did a sweet 16 birthday cake and the colors were gold and red fondant. I used the luster gold dust from sugar craft. It's pretty easy I used vodka with mine and YUP it's just like painting. BTW- I'm a beginner so if I can do it anyone can. LOL

Have fun!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%