Preparing For My First Wedding Cake.... Help Please!!!!

Decorating By Angela93 Updated 6 Aug 2009 , 7:36pm by tonedna

Angela93 Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 1:16pm
post #1 of 11

I'm doing my first wedding cake in October and need A LOT of pointers from ANYONE who knows what to do. luckily, the cake is for a very non-picky family member who just wants it to be prettyicon_smile.gif but the things i am not sure about is for one, how high can i stack a cake without it being too heavy? the cake needs to serve 200. i plan to use round pans, all stacked (no spacing). is that possible?
and whats the best way to support it?
do i HAVE to have a big expensive cake stand for it to sit on?
i know i'm suppose to stack it at the reception sight, but how do i stransport each layer from my house when the biggest cake boxes at the store is a 13x18x4?

if anyone has any tips or answers for any of my questions, your help is soooo greatly appreciated! thanksicon_smile.gif

10 replies
Janette Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 1:27pm
post #2 of 11

I usually make mine 5 inches tall. There is a serving chart on Wilton's web-site. Also on You Tube they have excellent videos showing you how to stack a tier cake. I use the wooden dowls, I know some here use the plastic straws but I had a disaster last week trying that.

Once you get past your first wedding cake and find you worried for nothing from then on it's a piece of cake.

ngfcake Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 1:28pm
post #3 of 11

There is a lot of info in this site!!
Here is one thread that might help you:
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6177348.html#6177348

Good luck

phoufer Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 1:30pm
post #4 of 11

My advice is to use sps. Look at sticky in the how to forum. Leahs explains how to use it. I stack cakes with this method all the time and deliver the cake already stacked. Never had a problem transporting. I use a piece of non-skid mat from $ store... place the cake on the mat in the trunk and away I go.

Texas_Rose Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 1:35pm
post #5 of 11

I just made my first wedding cake last month (and boy, was I glad when it was over with!)

You can buy moving boxes at Home Depot. The biggest one is $1.29. When you cut the moving boxes in half, then you have two good-sized cake boxes. I just taped waxed paper over the tops instead of a lid. If you put a piece of non-skid drawer liner in each box under the cake, it can't move around.

I use foamcore boards and Wilton's hollow white plastic dowels. The plastic dowels are easier to cut than wooden ones and they're strong. The more cakes you're stacking, the more dowels you want to use in the bottom tiers and you may want to use double thicknesses of foamcore. I glue them together and then cover them in press and seal wrap.

Janette Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 1:40pm
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoufer

My advice is to use sps. Look at sticky in the how to forum. Leahs explains how to use it. I stack cakes with this method all the time and deliver the cake already stacked. Never had a problem transporting. I use a piece of non-skid mat from $ store... place the cake on the mat in the trunk and away I go.

I always deliver my cakes stacked too. I also get the non-skid mats at the $ store. But, I did buy a cake box from DecoPac to carry it in. They are a little expensive but I re-use it.

Another thing I invested in is a flatbed cart at one of the big hardware chain stores. I want to say it was under $20 but, it is so nice when you have a distance to walk. We all know how heavy those cakes can be. Plus it comes in handy for other uses.

I did buy a magnetic sign for the van saying wedding cake being transferred so impatient drivers understand why we are not driving over the limit.

Janette Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 1:43pm
post #7 of 11

Texas, thanks for the info on moving boxes, I will have to remember that one.

tonedna Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 1:59pm
post #8 of 11

Here is a stacking cake tutorial

Edna icon_smile.gif

cakesandbakes Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 2:29pm
post #9 of 11

I live in a rural area with hills and pot-holes!! so I always take my cakes as separate tiers and assemble on site. I use wooden dowel rods I buy at walmart for $2 a pack of 12, (for a cake that big I would put at least 5 or 6 in the bottom). I have a minivan so I got a spongey mattress pad to spread out in the back with the non skid drawer liner over it.

Angela93 Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 3:42pm
post #10 of 11

Thanks everyone!!!! the tutorial from "edna's cakes" was extremely helpful!

tonedna Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 7:36pm
post #11 of 11

Glad it help!

Edna icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%