Can I Make 3D Figurines Using Mmf?

Decorating By sofia0710 Updated 7 Aug 2009 , 6:40pm by Rylan

sofia0710 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sofia0710 Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 8:13am
post #1 of 8

May I asked the experts on CC - Can I make #D figures (animals and little people) using MMF or MMF with added Gum-Tex?

I am new to CC and I found this website amazing and everyone is so helpful. Thank you!

7 replies
xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 8:18am
post #2 of 8

Personally I would add the gum-tex/tylose or gum paste as it will dry faster. I don't use MMF but from what I understand straight fondant has the tendency to sag some. I would use the straight fondant for cut out decorations for the cake instead. I find 50/50 is the best combo for 3d figures as it gives me more working time than just gp but dries faster than just fondant.

Having said all that though I have read on CC that some folks do just use MMF.
icon_smile.gif

sofia0710 Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 4:54am
post #3 of 8

Thanks xstitcher. I'll try 50/59 combination or add Gum-Tex to my fondant next try. When using MMF to make 3D, my figurines sunk as the MMF was too soft.

I have another question...when I add Gum-Tex to fondant, can I use it for modelling straight away or should I waited for 1 day for the Gum-Tex to blend in before using it for modelling?

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 5:06am
post #4 of 8

You can usually feel the fondant stiffen up as you add the gum-tex or tylose. Tylose seems to make a bigger difference for me, and doesn't stink, so if you can get it locally, give it a try sometime.

Anyhow, I've made figurines with just MMF and they do dry eventually but if no one is going to be eating the figurine, then you can add some foamboard or toothpicks inside for support...the MMF gun in my pictures is foamboard covered with MMF and painted. Last summer I made Hello Kitty and Dora out of MMF and they ended up a little chubbier than I had originally intended...I used lollipops for the heads and the lollipop stick as support and that kept them from sagging more than they did.

xstitcher Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 5:07am
post #5 of 8

You can use it right away.
If you have any leftover make sure you wrap it really well with saranwrap (I always do a couple of layers and take out as much air as possible) and then I put it in a ziploc bag (air removed).

sofia0710 Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 6:35am
post #6 of 8

Thanks for all the helpful advice. I will try. I live in Hong Kong where humidity level is very high. So far I only managed to buy gum-tex from Wilton but they stink. I have not found tylose in baking stores up to this point, unfortunately.

xstitcher Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 6:39am
post #7 of 8

You might be able to find it on ebay. I think I've seen it and they shipped worldwide. Don't remember what it cost though. Also I think it was called Tylopur. I believe that's what it's called in GB maybe elsewhere too.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 6:40pm
post #8 of 8

I'd go with 50/50. I do it all the time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%