Make A Gumpaste Spider Mum??

Decorating By Michelle104 Updated 6 Aug 2009 , 12:55pm by Michelle104

Michelle104 Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 5:19am
post #1 of 5

I need to make a spider mum between 4 and 5 inches in diameter. Has anyone ever made one of these from gumpaste and can you please give me any tips at all? Thanks so much for any responses! icon_biggrin.gif

4 replies
Michelle104 Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 6:30am
post #2 of 5

rothells Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 6:35am
post #3 of 5

When I made mine, I just used the cutter for the sunflowers. And cut each petal in half with sissors. I did about 4 differant sized and put them together starting with the smallest on top, and added a yellow center. Hope that helps.

Win Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 7:01am
post #4 of 5

You have to really elongate those petals to make a correct spider mum. Layering is the key as mentioned above, and by using the basic steps for a chrysanthemum. I had a lot of trouble with the tips breaking off the one time I attempted a true spider mum. I emphasize "true" because they are a very distinct looking flower --not rounded tips like a regular mum. I ended up ordering real ones from the florist instead. That was awhile back, and now I think I could master it, but at the time it was truly a frustrating flower as I could find no tutorials or books with directions for making this flower. Good luck!

Michelle104 Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 12:55pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks guys for your input!! I'm going to attempt it today....we'll see how it goes icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%