Gift Box Cake With Buttercream

Decorating By NatiMF30 Updated 6 Aug 2009 , 1:38pm by NatiMF30

NatiMF30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NatiMF30 Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 4:30am
post #1 of 3

Hello CCer's!

I am doing a gift box birthday cake for a 5 yr old in 2 weeks. The grandmother ordered the cake and asked for buttercream and not fondant (just for icing).

Here is a link to the picture of the cake she referenced.
http://www. flickr.com/photos/25863947 @N05/3742344585/ (remove spaces)

I'm not sure how to do the "lid" part using buttercream or if it can be done at all. I thought of making an indentation but am afraid it would just get mushed when I put the ribbons on. Maybe if I use the right consistency? or actually put a rope of fondant for the seam between the bow and lid? Any help and ideas would be great! I did tell her that I may not be able to make that distinction using bc so it's not an "I've got to do it this way" thing but they are good friends and if it's possible I'd like to do it! Thanks everyone!

2 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 12:31pm
post #2 of 3

i think that's all they did with the fondant cake was to make an indentation, that's what I would do. I made a gift cake using buttercream with fondant accents, but it didn't have a lid.............I think if you mush it up at all adding the bow you could always go back and fix the indent up a little around the bow area.

I think this can be done, but make sure your icing crusts well or you'll have a sticky mess on your hands. Also, I would suggest using a plastic ruler for the indentations so they're nice and straight.

NatiMF30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NatiMF30 Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 1:38pm
post #3 of 3

Thank you! I think I will give it a try and if it doesn't turn out I might just use a rope of fondant. Appreciate it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%