What Flavour For Christening Cake?

Decorating By Inspired84 Updated 6 Aug 2009 , 11:29am by Inspired84

Inspired84 Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 4:30am
post #1 of 3

Hi All
Well this is my first post..i have been reading for quite some time now (its so addictive!)

So here's the thing i want to make my daughters christening cake, use chocolate gnanche (either white or dark not fussy) on the outside and then cover with fondant and decorate...hoping i can make it look kind of proffesional...but what i REALLY want to achieve is a great tasting cake which would appeal to alot of different people - i dont have any preferance to flavour but i'm looking for something that people will taste and go WOW what it that! haha
I would also like to have a filling in it or some kind again something that people will taste and go WOW!
Any idea's for the cake and filling is much appreciated! I have searced the recipes here but there is so many i was a bit overwhelmed and then didn't know what filling would go with what cake.
(i usually just make a butter cake or the ww family choclate cake) But i really want to make a big effort and do something special!
Thanks so much in advance

2 replies
JanH Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 4:47am
post #2 of 3

Hi and Welcome to CC, Inspired84. icon_smile.gif

Decoding CC acronyms:

Everything you need to know to make, decorate and assemble tiered/stacked/layer cakes:

Above superthread has popular CC recipes for crusting American buttercreams, several types of fondant, and doctored cake mix (WASC and other flavor variations) - and so much more.

Everything you ever wanted to know about ganache:
(Includes master and white chocolate recipes, as well as info on how to glaze, stack, smooth and more.)

Chocolate 101:

A fondant chocolate ganache covered WASC cake with raspberry filling would be tasty! (I would use the sleeved pastry filling in raspberry so there's no need to refrigerate your 1st fondant cake.)

Inspired84 Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 11:29am
post #3 of 3

Wow thank you for all those links! Much appreciated! Will sit down tonight and have a good read.
I have a couple of questions though! icon_lol.gif
I just had a quick look at WASC cake (sounds really good) but wondering when it says 2 boxes of white cake mix what do i use, is it just like a betty crocker cake mix? I live in a small country town (Australia) which has next to nothing when it comes to cake supplies...i even had to buy all my cake tins online as no where here sells them!!!
Went around to all the bakeries today aswell to see if i could get just 1 sleeve of raspberry filling and they all send they can only sell it in 20L tubs! haha
Is there anywhere online (in oz) that i can get it from? ( i did a google search but it didn't bring anything up)
Thanks so much

Quote by @%username% on %date%