4 Cakes Made And All Stuck To The Pan And Fell Apart!!!!

Decorating By Trixyinaz Updated 7 Aug 2009 , 4:59am by xstitcher

Trixyinaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trixyinaz Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 2:16am
post #1 of 19

I'm frustrated. I've spent the last 3.5 hours making 4 red velvet cakes. The first batch came out. Looked perfect in the pan. Then I went to flip them over and take them out of the pan, and they stuck to the bottom. I tried to repair them, but they are gonners!

I don't know what I am doing wrong lately. I am using the Cake Man Raven recipe, and remember having issues the last time I made it. I use the Witon non stick stuff, but am wondering if it just doesn't work with this recipe.

I'm going to have to redo these cake, and am wondering if I need to do something different so they don't stick. What about parchment paper? I've never used it before. Do I need to grease the bottom of the pan and then put the parchment paper down? Do I just cut out a circle for the bottom of the pan or does it need to come up the sides of the pan too?

Any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks!

18 replies
-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 2:25am
post #2 of 19

Oh, poor you! Yeah, you really do need to use parchment paper as well as lots of cake release.

Grease the pan, and then put in a circle of parchment on the bottom. It doesn't have to go around the outside, but make sure it reaches the edges because that's where the sticking usually starts.

Sometimes I neglect to do this, and always regret not spending the extra 2 minutes... thumbsdown.gif

Trixyinaz Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 2:45am
post #3 of 19

Thanks Tubbs! I am going to try that tomorrow night when I start all over. I just pulled my 6" cakes out of the oven and they came out of the pans just fine. I so wanted to be done baking the cake portion of this order tonight so that I could focus on doing the 95 cupcakes tomorrow night. It's gonna be a long night tomorrow!

Thanks again for responding so quickly. I'll have to run to the store tomorrow during lunch and pick up some more red food color and some parchment paper.

Cookie4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookie4 Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 3:08am
post #4 of 19

Yep, definitely use the parchment paper (or waxed paper if you are desperate). Just trace around the bottom of your pan - I usually make several sheets at once so I don't have to make it again when I decide to bake. By the way, I don't grease and flour the sides of the pan either. When the cakes are done (test the centers for doneness) the sides will start to separate from the pan - then I remove and cool for 10 minutes in the pan. Slide a knife around the edge (not really necessary but I do it to make me feel better) then flip out. Turn right side up and then cool. You should have no problem with this technique. Good luck!

If you have to scrap all that red velvet cake try making cake truffes/cake balls/cake bites or cake pops. Nothing goes to waste - only to waist!

MBHazel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBHazel Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 3:15am
post #5 of 19

Hi Just wanted to add my 2cents worth too!!!

I never do a layer cake where I don't grease and four as normal and then add a circle of waxpaper to the bottom.

I do not do the side of the pan as the layer cakes typically shrink away from the sides when they are done. But make sure to wait a few minutes before filipping the cake out, it needs to cool a little to gain its structure.

Then you just peel the waxpaper off the cake. (or parchment)

You can acutally purchase the waxpaper already cut into circles.

aquamom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aquamom Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 3:28am
post #6 of 19

The person who thought of the precut wax paper and parchment circles is a genius!!!! icon_smile.gif

MBHazel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBHazel Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 3:32am
post #7 of 19

Yes, I am always a day late in coming up with those money making ideas! icon_cool.gif

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 3:39am
post #8 of 19

If you watch Alton Brown's "The Trouble with Cheesecake" he shows you how to cut your parchment paper into a circle without having to trace it out. Here's the link (he show's this 4 1/2 minutes into the video).

Sorry you had all these issues with your cake Vicki. Hopefully it'll all work out for you tomorrow.

Erika2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erika2000 Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 3:55am
post #9 of 19

The easiest way to prevent this is to use pan grease. Mix equal amounts of shortening, oil and flour. Then use a brush to coat your pan. Since I started using pan grease I have not had a single cake stick to the pan. And much cheaper than using the purchased "cake release" products. Also, no parchment to mess with.

G_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
G_Cakes Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 3:55am
post #10 of 19

Just wanted to let you know there is a great recipe on CC for home made cake release.

Since I have tried it I have never had anything get stuck or fall apart.

My cakes literally fall out of the pan when I flip them over.

The recipe is:

1 cup flour
1 cup oil
1 cup shortening

Mix everything together in mixer and store in an air tight container.

I keep mine in my fridge and I promise you once you try this you will never use anything else again.

Hope this helps and let me know how it all turns out for you.

Suzisweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzisweet Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 3:56am
post #11 of 19

Vicki,
I have always baked and very few disaster... BUT about 3 weeks ago I started having that same problem. So on advice of everyone on here I started using the parchment but only in the bottom. It seems time consuming but it is a guarentee that it will not stick. I put my cake pan bottom down and run an Exacto knife around while sitting on a magazine or something with a little give and there you have it a perfect fit, quick an easy and once you get in the habit it's no big deal. I'll never bake a cake again with out it!!
Hope the next cake turns out much better.
Suzi

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 1:58pm
post #12 of 19

I put parchment on the bottom and Wilton's cake release on the sides. I used to grease & flour the sides, but the cake release is so much faster and less messy.

I have no problems with this method--no crumbs on the sides, but no crusty edges, either.

HTH
Rae

CakeInfatuation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeInfatuation Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 2:16pm
post #13 of 19

I used to use that Wilton Bake Easy but sometimes (not often), the top of the cake would stick and I'd lose a little piece that I'd have to scrape out of the pan and flop back onto the cake.

I started using parchment about a month ago and I'LL NEVER GO BACK!!! I smear shortening around the bottom and sides of the pan then place my parchment circle on the bottom and cut strips for around the sides. NOTHING EVER STICKS! It helps the sides retain moisture, and so I never have dry edges or dark spots. It is worth the extra time and effort.

JoJo0855 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoJo0855 Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 2:19pm
post #14 of 19

I've run into problems like this before and determined that my timing was off when removing the cakes from the pans ... I was either too impatient or suffering from "lazibuggeritis" and the cakes were totally cooled. Now when a cake is done, I put in on a rack and set the oven timer for 10 minutes (or the time specified in the recipe). That irritating ding from the oven is a sure-fire reminder!

Lining round pans with parchment can be a pain, where I shop they have pre-cut parchment circles to line round pans.

cakegrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegrandma Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 2:33pm
post #15 of 19

I use spray that I get at the restaurant supply stores and I always have used parchment circles in the bottoms of my pans. You can order them from cake art 77 . com (put them all together) in the 8,9 and 10" sizes in 100 quantity packages and they will ship them to you. I really don't care for waxed paper too much, even though you prepare it, to me it often allows the cake to stick to it.
evelyn

Cakeonista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeonista Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 2:42pm
post #16 of 19

I find that some pans need just grease and some need grease and parchment but I hate cutting those rounds, I'm definitly going to try the bakers grease, I have read so much about it on cc, it has to be good.

Jeannem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeannem Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 2:43pm
post #17 of 19

So we all do things differently..I prefer to leave my cakes in the pans to cool--don't seem to dry as much, and are easier to move around when I have a lot.
Anyhow, grease and flour the pan as usual, then when it's time to depan, I heat the whole bottom of the pan over the stove burner (gas or electric both work) for a few seconds, run a knife around the edge, and flip out. In 30+ years, I don't think I've ever had one stick.
Works especially good if you're using a character pan that can't accept parchment.

Trixyinaz Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 3:52am
post #18 of 19

Thank you so much for the tips. 4 hours later, 95 cupcakes and 2 - 8" cake layers are done! I used the parchment paper for the cakes and it worked wonderfully. My cakes came out picture perfect. Thanks! I was going to cut my circle using Alton's method (thanks for that video link), but I couldn't find my scissors and I couldn't get the paper to fold up like he did. I just got a sharp knife and traced around the bottom of the pan. It was quick and easy! Thanks again! I appreciate it...you all saved my day!

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 4:59am
post #19 of 19

Glad it all worked out for you. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%