Cake Chosen For Wedding Issue / New Mag...

Business By kellertur Updated 6 Aug 2009 , 12:49pm by cylstrial

kellertur Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 1:07am
post #1 of 10

I received a call yesterday from a woman telling me they wanted to feature one of my cakes for their wedding issue in Oct. It's not Brides mag or the like, but it's a new magazine that covers 6 surrounding states. They've given me some questions to answer so they can get some quotes from me. Unprofessionally, I asked (like a teenager with a new car) "ARE YOU SERIOUS? WOW!" icon_redface.gif

Now for the funny part...~ they chose the cake I did for the December Smackdown where I only received very few votes! icon_lol.gif ... so this felt good. I don't mean to brag, I'm just really weirded out...

OH~ They've asked for a high resolution image, but I think I've resized my pic. If I scan in my actual photo, could I work that on my computer to an appropriate size. Can I use the pictures I already downsized? Is that possible?

Thank you for indulging me... icon_redface.gif

9 replies
cylstrial Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 1:19am
post #2 of 10

Well - I can't help with the computer stuff...but I just wanted to say Congrats!
I think it's awesome that they chose you! Now you can put that magazine on that cake resume of yours!

kellertur Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 1:23am
post #3 of 10

cake resume? There is such a thing?

I have a professional art resume, but I've never heard of a cake resume... It does makes sense though. Although, mine would be very short.

weirkd Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 1:38am
post #4 of 10

They have places online like Shutterfly that you can actually make portfolios yourself on. They come out really nice and professional.

FromScratch Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 1:52am
post #5 of 10

If you shrunk the image, then it won't be a high res anymore. They wouldn't be able to enlarge it and get a quality image, but if they are shrinking it it might work. This is why you need to keep a copy of the original image. If you shrink it, save it as "img123shrunk.jpg" or do what I do and have a separate folder for your manipluated images. I have a Shrunken Photos and a Watermarked Photos etc. icon_smile.gif

Congrats to you though!! That is awesome! icon_biggrin.gif

Deb_ Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 1:58am
post #6 of 10

Awesome cake buddy! I'm so happy for you.......sorry I don't know anything about the picture resolution though icon_sad.gif I'm lucky I know how to shrink mine to upload! icon_biggrin.gif

kellertur Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 2:29am
post #7 of 10

Thanks~

My orig image now has my watermark, and they said the image can't be watermarked (that sounded redundant...) I'm going to scan in my photo and go from there. If not, I think I have it saved somewhere.

I'll try what you've suggested.

BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 2:38am
post #8 of 10

You should be able to go into your photo program and edit it then choose the option that says "restore original image". This should be as it was prior to watermarking it or shrinking it. I hope it works for you.

CakeForte Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 7:14am
post #9 of 10

When you re-scan the photo, go into your settings or options and look for "dpi". It might be defaulted to 72 dpi, which is the standard for web images. This makes photos load faster when you view a website. If you try to print a 72 dpi image, it will come out very blurry. Print settings need to be listed at 300 dpi, so the editors will be able to change the size of the photo, and when they print it in the magazine, it will be a crisp and clear picture.

cylstrial Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 12:49pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by K2cakes

cake resume? There is such a thing?

I have a professional art resume, but I've never heard of a cake resume... It does makes sense though. Although, mine would be very short.

LOL! Sorry that's just what my hubby calls it. It's probably not real at all. I guess I have just picked it up.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%