Honest Opinion Please...

Decorating By The_Sugar_Fairy Updated 7 Aug 2009 , 10:34pm by xstitcher

The_Sugar_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 11:51pm
post #1 of 37

Hi everyone! I was hoping you could give me your honest opinion please on these gerbera daisies that I made in gumpaste. I used a tutorial that I got on "Make Fabulous Cakes". I'm so not happy with the centers, but I'm wondering if it's just because I've been working on them for so long that I'm starting to see cross-eyed. I pressed them up against a sieve and used green petal dust like the tutorial said to do, but I wasn't able to cut at them with scissors like they said to because my scissors are a bit too big. Please please be honest and any advice to fix the centers would be appreciated. Thanks so much!!
LL

36 replies
Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 11:56pm
post #2 of 37

I think they look very nice!

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 11:57pm
post #3 of 37

Hard to really tell from the pics. But the flowers themselves are beautiful. The way I make my centers is to roll a litlle ball of gumpaste, then press that against the sieve. It flattens to a perfect button shape. Then you don't have to do any cutting.

mjk350 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjk350 Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 11:58pm
post #4 of 37

They look great to me. thumbs_up.gif

The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 12:25am
post #5 of 37

Thanks so much for all the comments. Anyone else?? I'm still trying to figure out if I like them enough to use them on the cake I'm making for my best friend tomorrow. (I'm also trying to build up a portfolio of pictures right now too so it's important that they look good). Can anyone else let me know what they think, honestly, don't just be nice. Thanks!

Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 12:44am
post #6 of 37

oooo i really like them! honestly icon_smile.gif

AmandaKate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmandaKate Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 1:10am
post #7 of 37

Oh my goodness I LOVE them!!! Gerbera daisies happen to be my FAVORITE flower!!!!!! I was wondering when I would see someone make some out of gumpaste!!! My only suggestion (if you want to be REALLY nit-picky, but I think they're fine as they are) would be to make the petals surrounding the centers even smaller and more packed together. That would be closer to the real thing and might help your dissatisfaction with the centers.....it might make them more distinguished!! But.....that's if you want to be a real perfectionist......I think they're simply beautiful the way they are and I would love to get a cake with those on it!!! Here's a good picture I found that shows the packed short petals around the centers.

Great job!!!! Major kudos!!! thumbs_up.gif

AmandaKate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmandaKate Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 1:12am
post #8 of 37
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 1:30am
post #9 of 37

Wow! I think those look amazing!!! I'm going to have to check this tutorial out.

BeeBoos-8599_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 2:49am
post #10 of 37

I Honestly think they look extremely good. That is a hard flower to do and I think the centers look great.

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 3:02am
post #11 of 37

I think they look good too! I'd use them on the cake. The only thing I can add is the flower on the bottom right could use a little more green petal dust. Great job! thumbs_up.gif

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 3:04am
post #12 of 37

I love it. They would work great on a whimsical cake or over a white cake.

G_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
G_Cakes Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 3:05am
post #13 of 37

I think you did a fabulous job on them, you should be very proud and if this is the first then you obviously have skills.

icon_smile.gif

veronica720 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veronica720 Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 3:15am
post #14 of 37

They look amazing and I would definately use them on the cake tomorrow.
Also thank you so much for the website, they have a lot of cool stuff. I am always looking for new stuff to learn. I hope my flowers turn out as good as yours some day.

princesscris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
princesscris Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 3:24am
post #15 of 37

Hi The-Sugar-Fairy (great name)

Those are lovely gumpaste gerberas. But if you want them to look more like real gerberas, try rolling out your gumpaste a little thinner. Also, flowers in nature are rarely perfect - petals are ruffled by the wind, nibbled on etc etc - you'll acheive a more realistic effect if you make them less perfect.

Hope that's the sort of advice/feedback you were after...

Kind regards,
Cris.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 3:36am
post #16 of 37

Yes, less perfect would be great. Lol...less perfect?? Funny to receive that kind of advice! But I agree, they are tootin' cute!

BakerInHeels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakerInHeels Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 3:43am
post #17 of 37

They are seriously beautiful

Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 3:43am
post #18 of 37

just want to add i don't know how you got it but i love that colour orange on the one up the top icon_smile.gif

warmshade Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
warmshade Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 3:53am
post #19 of 37

I really like them. I'm ok with flowers but I might try this tutorial for practice.

AverageMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AverageMom Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 3:54am
post #20 of 37

I hadn't heard of using a sieve that way...what a great idea! I love your flowers. Truly. I think perhaps next time make the petals a bit thinner around the edges, less perfect, as someone said.
Your friend will adore this cake!

kshaw86 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kshaw86 Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 4:30am
post #21 of 37

Coming from someone who's never done flower's I think they look great! I would appreciate those on my cake! =)

Reimagining_Confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Reimagining_Confections Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 11:41am
post #22 of 37

They look great, but if you arelooking for what more you could do, I would suggest adding a darker shade of dust on the bottom petals and maybe slightly down a few lines for a more realistic look. This will give them more depth.

The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 11:54am
post #23 of 37

Oh my gosh, thank you so much everyone for the comments. You all make me feel so good about them! :0) :0)

tiggerjo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggerjo Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 12:28pm
post #24 of 37

I am no expert but I would be very pleased with them. Beautiful job IMO.
thumbs_up.gif

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 12:30pm
post #25 of 37

I found that website full of tutorials. It was great! Thanks for sharing!

For those of you who want to know I googled "make fabulous cakes tutorial" and the link came up and I clicked on the link.

Jenteach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenteach Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 12:41pm
post #26 of 37

I think they look great. Where did you get the cutter from? I LOVE Gerbera daisies and would love to make some that look even half as nice as yours turned out.

TIA

Jen

jewels710 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewels710 Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 12:41pm
post #27 of 37

I am with AmandaKate & Xstitcher (the lil more green on the bottom flower). I LOVE them, they are my fave flower too!
Nice Job!!!

Jaimelt76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jaimelt76 Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 12:49pm
post #28 of 37

When I make my daisies I make the center by rolling out a small ball and flattening it slightly. I then push it up against a sieve like the tutorial shows. I do not have small scissors as well so I take an open star tip like an 18 and push the tip into the center a couple of times.
By the way your daisies look wonderful.

serialbabe1968 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
serialbabe1968 Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 12:57pm
post #29 of 37

real nice!

sugarcheryl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarcheryl Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 12:46am
post #30 of 37

I think they look absolutely beautiful. I find no fault.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%