Remove Fondant From A Cake Dummy? I'll Tell Ya!

Decorating By __Jamie__ Updated 10 Aug 2009 , 12:14am by MarlaQuack

__Jamie__ Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 11:41pm
post #1 of 18

Put the dummy in a thickish (think Target) plastic bag.

Twist bag around a couple of times.

Whack the bag on the floor.

Turn bag around to get to pieces still clinging to styrofoam.

Whack it on the ground again.

Shouldn't take more than 2 or 3 whacks.

Take dummy out of bag.

Toss bag in trash.

Bam! That was flipping genius! I can't believe I have ever soaked a dummy, hacked at it with a knife, pried it off in little shards that poked and cut my fingers....never again!

Ok....that's all folks!

17 replies
Elise87 Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 1:41am
post #2 of 18

What is your preference of floor? wood, tile, stone, carpet? icon_lol.gif

I might go for my tile floor in the future then, if i can bare to smash up the dummy i have now lol

cylstrial Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 1:52am
post #3 of 18

LOL Jamie! That's hilarious - but it's actually a great idea. I remember that the last time I was taking fondant off of a dummy cake - I was using a butter knife to pry it off. Anyway, somehow I managed to cut myself with the FONDANT! It was ridiculous!!

Anyway, great idea!

Elise87 Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 1:56am
post #4 of 18

You know what's even stranger, I once cut myself on a loaf of BREAD lol

.........Just had to throw that in there icon_biggrin.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 1:58am
post #5 of 18

Oh ouch!!! I love a good toasted sandwich, especially on french bread. But dang, the corners of my mouth get rough and raw afterwards from those sharp crusty crumbies!

Elise87 Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 2:01am
post #6 of 18

yeh this happen while i was working at a bakery we have a loaf called 'flour loaf' and it sometimes had sharp pointy bits on top, could be a very deadly loaf at times lol

P.S sorry to veer away from the original topic lol

adree313 Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 2:24am
post #7 of 18

the fondant really gets that hard and adhered -- and apparently dangerous -- on the dummy cakes?? wow, i had no idea!

__Jamie__ Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 2:36am
post #8 of 18

Adree....yes. Rock hard. And this is the quickest easiest way I've found to get it off. icon_smile.gif

indydebi Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 2:39am
post #9 of 18

oh that is genius! icon_lol.gif

tonedna Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 2:52am
post #10 of 18

lol ..thats funny....next time just soak the dummy in a hot bath...and relax....icon_smile.gif
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

KimAZ Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 5:17am
post #11 of 18

Excellent idea, Jamie! Last time I did it, I took it outside on the grass, prying off bits and pieces with a butter knife and it was SUCH a mess and such a pain. Later I figured that I could just whack it when a knife to brake pieces but never thought of containing the mess in a plastic trash bag. Great thinking!

KimAZ

Michelle104 Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 5:24am
post #12 of 18

Perfect perfect timing for you to post this topic for me! Thank you so much!! icon_lol.gif

While we're on the subject of dummies...do you ever cover with anything besides fondant??

cylstrial Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 12:54pm
post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

lol ..thats funny....next time just soak the dummy in a hot bath...and relax....icon_smile.gif
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

LOL! If only I had known...this method.

Personally, I think the bag and the dummy will get out more of my aggression. LOL. icon_lol.gif I really need to get back into Tae Kwon Do!

cylstrial Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 12:55pm
post #14 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle104

Perfect perfect timing for you to post this topic for me! Thank you so much!! icon_lol.gif

While we're on the subject of dummies...do you ever cover with anything besides fondant??

Some people ice them in a crusting buttercream.

-Tubbs Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 3:35pm
post #15 of 18

That's funny! I usually run them under hot water prying bits off with a knife as they loosen up. Next time I'll try your technique!

tonedna Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 8:51pm
post #16 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by cylstrial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle104

Some people ice them in a crusting buttercream.

It works like a charm.. I have taken fondant off from dummies that even are a few years old..
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

auntmamie Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 11:56pm
post #17 of 18

Thanks for the tip! I'm about to deconstruct my first fake cake icon_sad.gif

MarlaQuack Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 12:14am
post #18 of 18

Giggling loudly!

I have some metal door frames that I use for banging things on.

Marla

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%