Boba Straws

Decorating By baking_fool Updated 6 Aug 2009 , 12:46pm by cylstrial

baking_fool Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
baking_fool Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 9:30pm
post #1 of 6

Has any one ever used those big boba tea straws as supports inside a cake? If so is there a weight limit before you should use wooden dowles? and dose any one know where I can buy some boba straws on line cheep?

5 replies
xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 9:39pm
post #2 of 6

Yes you can use boba aka bubble tea straws for cake support. Ebay has some good prices. If you have an Asian market in your area you might try them as well.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 11:45pm
post #3 of 6

Yes you can and xstitcher got everything answered.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 1:15am
post #4 of 6

I don't know it was just me or what, but I didn't like them. My cake wasn't supported very well and it caused little cracks all along the sides of the fondant.

Now I had to drive 90 minutes with the first one and then 6 hours with the second one. So maybe they would work for a short drive, but I have kind of given up on them myself.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 3:32am
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cylstrial

I don't know it was just me or what, but I didn't like them. My cake wasn't supported very well and it caused little cracks all along the sides of the fondant.

Now I had to drive 90 minutes with the first one and then 6 hours with the second one. So maybe they would work for a short drive, but I have kind of given up on them myself.

Try a combination of wooden dowels or Wilton plastic dowels in combination with bubble tea straw.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 12:46pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rylan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cylstrial

Try a combination of wooden dowels or Wilton plastic dowels in combination with bubble tea straw.

Sounds good! I'll give it another whirl Rylan!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%