Flower Nail

Decorating By MissCakeCrazy Updated 5 Aug 2009 , 8:58pm by xstitcher

MissCakeCrazy Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 8:07pm
post #1 of 6

I have been told to place a flower / rose nail into the pan in order for the cake to not dome, can someone please tell me what this is? Does it have another name in the UK?

5 replies
ilovefondant Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 8:49pm
post #3 of 6

its not a cake nail but its called a cake core

diane Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 8:52pm
post #4 of 6

are you talking about this??


you can use the nail if you don't have a heating core. icon_wink.gif

rezzygirl Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 8:53pm
post #5 of 6

Here's a photo tutorial for the flower nail method:




xstitcher Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 8:58pm
post #6 of 6
Originally Posted by ilovefondant

its not a cake nail but its called a cake core

Actually there 2 different things.

Here's the heating core:

Diane already posted the link for the flower nail.

The heating core creates a large hole in the cake that you have to plug up. What you do is pour batter into the "hole" and then use that part of the cake to plug up the hole (I hope that makes sense icon_lol.gif ).

With the flower nail all you need to do is prepare it like you would your cake pan so the cake does not stick to it (I use homemade cake/pan release which is equal parts oil, flower and shortening - mix well). You can either place the nail in the pan and then pour the batter around it or you can pour the batter first and then place the flower nail in. Make sure you put it in upside down with the sharp part pointing up. If the cake is larger you can place more than one nail in.

HTH! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%