What Makes You Click On A Thumbnail Image To See A Cake?

Decorating By Bellatheball Updated 5 Aug 2009 , 11:33pm by poohsmomma

Bellatheball Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 6:18pm
post #1 of 11

I'm always curious about this. What draws your eye to a cake?

For me, I've noticed clean work draws my eye first. After that a color scheme and the quality of the photo seem to do the trick too. I tend not to notice all the white tiered wedding cakes. While so many of them are beautiful, it's hard to make a white cake stand out. Even though I'll get shot for saying so, I don't look at a lot of all buttercream cakes either (mostly because I still can't master them!).

10 replies
klallen21 Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 6:34pm
post #2 of 11

I'm pretty much the same way...

Neatness, color scheme, uniqueness, and of course if I'm looking for a particular style-they tend to pop out more.

G_Cakes Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 6:35pm
post #3 of 11

Depends on alot of things really.

I think mostly it has to do with what ever project I am working on next, I always come to CC for inspiration.

Color has to be the next thing to draw me in and after that it would be style or type of cake eg: tiered or carved etc.

I usually spend at least 2 hours a day just looking at all the latest uploads late in the evening before I toddle off to bed. this way I have tons of ideas swimming around in my head for the morningicon_smile.gif

Interesting question cant wait to see other reply's

Miss Lizzy

ZlatkaT Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 6:42pm
post #4 of 11

I start my day with coffee and looking at new uploads, then move to forum.
To click on picture made me when I see something unusual and wanted to see close, or for future inspiration. I agree if I see white wedding cake, it is not inspire me, mostly BD cakes do.

Price Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 6:46pm
post #5 of 11

For me it's fondant figures. I am hooked on fondant modeling and love to look at the characters everyone creates.

indydebi Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 6:52pm
post #6 of 11

big cakes (LUV big cakes!); wedding cakes first, then all-other cakes; color; unique design ("what's that? .... (click) .... oh wow!"). That's the "just browsing" list. Ditto what MissLizzy said .... if I'm working on a project, that changes what I look at.

floral1210 Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 7:05pm
post #7 of 11

I like to work in buttercream, so I tend to look at the ones decorated in BC. I haven't gotten into fondant at all, nor into carved cakes. I think intricacy, and overall beauty, as well as color and anything I can adapt to my skill set is what draws me in. I love gorgeous color schemes, and as others have said, whatever I am working on at the time dictates what inspiration I need.

poohsmomma Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 9:20pm
post #8 of 11

Even though I work mainly in BC, I look at fondant cakes for the clean lines and bright colors. I try to reproduce these in BC with fondant accents.

Kiddiekakes Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 9:31pm
post #9 of 11

I ditto Poohsmomma....I mainly work in BC because 99% of my customers don't like fondant and won't pay the price for it...I like the look of fondant but try to replicate with fondant embellishments.I look for focused pics and vivid colors...and also like Indydebi said if I am looking for a particlur theme or cake I generally focus on those searches...

__Jamie__ Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 10:19pm
post #10 of 11

Something that shouts "well executed" from it's tiny little thumbnail image.

poohsmomma Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 11:33pm
post #11 of 11

I should add that I love well-executed fondant figures so if I see some of those tiny creatures peeping at me from the cake, I have to take a closer look.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%