Funky 80's Madonna Style Barbie Cake - Suggestions Pls!

Decorating By KimmieJ Updated 16 Aug 2009 , 6:50pm by KimmieJ

KimmieJ Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 6:09pm
post #1 of 12

A friend of mine would like a funky 80's style barbie cake and was thinking more in the lines of 80's Madonna with the teased hair and funky poof-skirt.

Here are my thoughts:
-Use tulle or really thin fondant, layered, under the bottom of the skirt...so for several layers so that its sticking out the bottom
-Colors maybe hot pink, black, white, maybe some aqua?
-A bunch of bangle bracelets and necklaces made of fondant.
-Corset-like top

Does this sound like it might work? I'll take any suggestions or if anyone has seen a cake like this before? TIA!

did I mention this was for her 10 yr old daughter's birthday?

11 replies
susanscakecreations Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 6:22pm
post #2 of 12

Sounds like you've hit the nail on the head! I love the colors you're thinking of, and the tulle.....go for it! And don't forget to post pics!!!!

G_Cakes Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 6:25pm
post #3 of 12

I love the idea and I agree I think you have nailed it.

But I was thinking about the tulle, if you wanted to keep it all edible, then maybe try piping royal icing over the tool as a mold of sorts. once the icing is dry you could remove the tulle.

I know it sounds like more work but then it would be all edible.

Good luck and cant wait to see pic's icon_smile.gif

Bonavolonta Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 6:33pm
post #4 of 12

Love it. I think you should try for a neon green or yellow instead of aqua though. Good luck!

michellesArt Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 7:08pm
post #5 of 12

and make the corset have those big cones and the hose strapes? (what about the bow in her hair like in her vidoes?)

bcreamluv Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 7:20pm
post #6 of 12

Yes...the big black bow in her hair is a must. I look forward to the pics!

KHalstead Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 7:29pm
post #7 of 12

don't forget to give the doll lots of blush and blue eyeshadow lol

KimmieJ Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 7:30pm
post #8 of 12

Too Funny! I didn't even think of the cones! LOL!

I will definitely be putting a HUGE bow in the hair....I'm hoping this doesn't end in a disater! icon_smile.gif Thanks for the support and ideas...keep them coming!!

KimmieJ Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 7:32pm
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLizzy

But I was thinking about the tulle, if you wanted to keep it all edible, then maybe try piping royal icing over the tool as a mold of sorts. once the icing is dry you could remove the tulle.

MissLizzy, do you think there would be a problem pulling the tulle off the royal icing? I like this idea as I like to do as much edible pieces as possible icon_smile.gif

MelissaMay Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 7:35pm
post #10 of 12

I feel like she also wore lace gloves??? I love the 80's!! LOL

yamber82 Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 8:08pm
post #11 of 12

hmm wonder i f you could make her be wearing a puppy paint nkotb tshirt tied at the waist with a scrunchy look? lol

KimmieJ Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 6:50pm
post #12 of 12

Here is what I ended up putting together icon_smile.gif Thank so much for the ideas and help!

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1438221.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%