Question About Wilton's Meringue Mix

Decorating By Rose_N_Crantz Updated 6 Aug 2009 , 6:16pm by Rose_N_Crantz

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 5:52pm
post #1 of 5

So I'm going to attempt italian meringue buttercream today. I'm going to be using Wilton meringue instead of egg whites and I'm a little confused with the instructions.

To make meringue, they say to whip the powder, water and sugar. Then they say the meringue can be used to sub egg whites (which is what I'm doing) in a recipe if the egg whites are whipped with sugar before the addition to the recipe (which they are for IMBC). They say to use two teaspoons powder and two tablespoons water and continue with the method they explained earlier in the recipe. Does this mean I should add sugar when I whip up the meringue mix, or should I just whip the powder and water?

4 replies
BeeBoos-8599_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 10:15pm
post #2 of 5

I am sorry, I want to help but I am really confused. I will go see if I have a can to look at and get back with you.

BeeBoos-8599_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 10:27pm
post #3 of 5

Well, I have a can but the instructions are gone. I would say that if you are simply using the powder as an egg substitute then dont add the sugar (assuming there is sugar elsewhere in the recipe. In your post it is cufussing to know if you are reffering to the recipe you are making or the recipe on the powder. Gosh I hope this has helped. I tried.

Rose_N_Crantz Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 10:59pm
post #4 of 5

I was just reading the recipe on the can of powder. I know, confusing huh? I tried finding directions on the website, but no luck.

I'm thinking it should just be two tsp powder and two tbsp water for meringue, and then just add it to the buttercream recipe. I'll give it a go and see what happens.

Rose_N_Crantz Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 6:16pm
post #5 of 5

alright, I did it. I can now say I've tried IMBC. My hubby likes it better than american bc, but I'm going to take it to his mother's house tonight I think and get her opinion on it. She's the icing aficionado of the family. I'm still not sure what I think about it. Extremely light! I would almost feel nervous about putting it in a bag and piping with it. My heater hands would probably melt the stuff.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%