Baking Ahead/freezing

Baking By bamberc Updated 16 Aug 2009 , 11:22pm by maryjsgirl

bamberc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bamberc Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 5:09pm
post #1 of 11

Has anyone tried baking cupcakes ahead of time and freezing them? I almost always do this with my cakes, but have never tried with cupcakes. I guess I am afraid that they would lose their shape and possibly dry out, but would love to hear from anyone who does this. Thank you!

10 replies
divaessence Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
divaessence Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 5:21pm
post #2 of 11

I have had no problem freezing cupcakes. They turn out as moist as frozen cakes. I just freeze them without frosting. Prepare them the same way you would to freeze a cake! icon_smile.gif

MeggieBeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MeggieBeth Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 5:23pm
post #3 of 11

Mine ended up a little dry. I had them each individually wrapped in plastic wrap, then in a freezer bag. I used them only 2 days later, and they were already a little dry and crumbly. I would try it on a small batch. Mine could have been because it was a specific chocolate cake recipe that dries out in a cake dome in my fridge within days. I just thought since they were individually wrapped and frozen they would stay moist...

pianocat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pianocat Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 5:27pm
post #4 of 11

I do this all the time-because at grandma's house there's always cake or cupcakes! I freeze them unfrosted. The only problem I've had on occasion is that the papers can come loose (those are the ones grandma eats).

Guess you realize I'm grandma right?

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 5:29pm
post #5 of 11

I line them up on a sheet board and wrap the entire sheet and then freeze...they turn out just fine!

linedancer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linedancer Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 5:31pm
post #6 of 11

I had to do 10 doz cupcakes for a wedding recently. I went to the store and bought 10 disposable 9x13 cake pans. Each one held a dozen cupcakes. I baked all of the cupcakes, put into the pans, and used double aluminum foil crimped over the edge of the pan to seal them. Worked great, after they are frozen, you can stack them. Saved the pans and have used them again since then, also to freeze cupcakes. Just be careful when lifting them, the disposable pans are a little flimsy, I put them on baking sheets to transport them to the freezer.

vww104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vww104 Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 2:36am
post #7 of 11

I freeze my cupcakes in spare 12 muffin tins, cover with wax paper and it fits perfectly in a 2 gallon ziploc bag. They freeze well and will last for a couple of months.

Wesha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wesha Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 5:44pm
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamberc

Has anyone tried baking cupcakes ahead of time and freezing them? I almost always do this with my cakes, but have never tried with cupcakes. I guess I am afraid that they would lose their shape and possibly dry out, but would love to hear from anyone who does this. Thank you!

I have done them numerous times. As soon as they come out of the oven, I let cool on a cooling rack covered with a clean towl for about 5 mins and then immediately put them in gallon freezer bags, seal them (Let out the air), and in the freezer they go. I took out some strawberry cuppies yesterday that were in the freezer. I let them thaw on the counter in the bag and frosted them with vanilla BC and they were delish. My family thought I had baked them yesterday but they were baked 2 months ago. They were still soft and moist and they did not lose their shape.

shalini1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shalini1 Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 1:04pm
post #9 of 11

just wondering Wesha - do you cover the cuppies themselves with a dishtowel? I tested a few chocolate cuppies and thawed them out on the counter (in the sealed bags) and I found them a bit dry. Any help in freezing/thawing cuppies are greatly appreciated!! icon_lol.gif

cyclegirl808 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cyclegirl808 Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 12:55pm
post #10 of 11

ooooo. i would love to try to freeze cupcakes. i have always been afraid cause cuppies always dry out pretty quick. maybe the ones with moist cakes have a certain recipe? would love to know it!

maryjsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryjsgirl Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 11:22pm
post #11 of 11

I tried freezing some and I didn't like the result. I wrapped them in plastic wrap and then foil. The carrot cake stayed moist (made with oil), but lost flavor. The red velvet (made with butter) were noticeably drier. I haven't done it since.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%