Buttercream Squishes Out The Bottom

Decorating By Libberator3000 Updated 5 Aug 2009 , 6:03pm by Libberator3000

Libberator3000 Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 4:50pm
post #1 of 7

Hi! I'm new at fondant, and I found a MM version that is fairly good tasting. But I still wanted to have enough buttercream underneath so that people who didn't like the fondant could have frosting underneath. My problem was that if I put more than a super thin layer (so that you couldn't see the cake peaking though), it wanted to squish out the bottom when I put the fondant on. Also, the top edge wouldn't stay square. How do you not lose buttercream out of the bottom and also keep the top clean and still put a decent layer on for taste?

6 replies
diane Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 4:58pm
post #2 of 7

did you chill your cake before adding the fondant?? icon_confused.gif

Libberator3000 Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 5:00pm
post #3 of 7

No.....I have a refrigerator space issue.... icon_sad.gif

diane Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 5:02pm
post #4 of 7

oh...bummer! well...after you get the space issue figured out, try chilling your cake before adding the fondant.

also, some people spray a mist of water on the chilled cake before adding the fondant to get it to stick...just a tip. icon_wink.gif

Libberator3000 Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 5:06pm
post #5 of 7

icon_lol.gif Thank you!

MeggieBeth Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 5:35pm
post #6 of 7

That sounds exactly like my first attempt a fondant. I iced it a lot, didn't chill it, and had the same problem. Mine, however was because I handled it a lot (trying to smooth mostly with my hands instead of the fondant smoother) and the buttercream got too soft and started to run. To fix the problem (I still frost it with just as thick a layer of buttercream and do not chill before using fondant) I made the buttercream slightly thicker and used a fondant smoother as much as possible instead of my hands. Hope that helps though I am in no way an expert as I've done only 5 fondant cakes!

Libberator3000 Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 6:03pm
post #7 of 7

Thank you, Meghan! Haha!! That's exactly what I did! I smoothed it by hand! I went to get the smoother at the cake store and the lady who was helping me told me I should forgo the $5.50 for the smoother and do it by hand. I figured the experts didn't use all the stupid plastic gadgets that Wilton, et al. put out....but I'm realizing that I was wrong! I've been seeing a lot of those plastic gadgets in use by a lot of experts all the sudden!

OK, I am pumped up again. Thank you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%