Idea For A Fire Hooper Cake

Decorating By Ruth0209 Updated 6 Aug 2009 , 2:57am by Ruth0209

Ruth0209 Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 2:38pm
post #1 of 4

I have an order for a three tier birthday cake for a woman who is a fire hooper. That's a hoola hoop with fire on it. She does regular hoola hooping, too. She's turning 50.

I'm thinking of winding several bright colors of fondant to look like a rope (or hoola hoop) and putting them around the base of each tier. For the fire hoop I'm thinking of making a gumpaste hoola hoop with the six fire things sticking out of them so I can put a candle on each. Then I would set that so it rests diagonally around the bottom tiers.

I don't know what to put on the tiers themselves to make it more interesting. She wants bright colors, but I do want to use white buttercream as the base.

Does anyone have any great ideas about what to put on the sides and top? I'd love to hear any creative ideas you might have. Thanks in advance!!

3 replies
Ruth0209 Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 10:28pm
post #2 of 4

Well, heck. No ideas anyone? I know someone must have a genius idea! I'm a really good copier, but less good at creative never-thought-of ideas!!

kakeladi Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 12:03am
post #3 of 4

Sorry Ruth, but this is the 1st I've seen your post.
I'm having trouble envisioning your idea....not because of you......I just can't seem to grasp the whole fire hooper thing!

My only suggestion is to make at least one of the tiers iced in orange/red. OR pipe flames up the sides (use b'cream w/tip 70 and make pull up long leaves).....well I work mostly w/b'cream so that's what comes to mind. Stripe the bag w/yellow, orange and red icing.

Ruth0209 Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 2:57am
post #4 of 4

Kakeladi, thanks for your response. It's so hard to describe what I see in my head! The fire hoop would be like a halo that's resting kind of sideways or diagonally on the tiers - bigger than the 8", but smaller than the 10" tier. Kind of like a halo that's slipped. I like the idea of red/orange/yellow flames on the top tier.

Real fire hoops have six little spines that stick out from them with a thing on the end of each that looks like a marshmallow. That's the part you light. So I thought I'd try to make something on the gumpaste one (the 'halo') that I could put 6 short birthday candles into so I could actually light it up.

Don't know if that helps, or if it just sounds even crazier!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%