Problems With Toba's Chocolate Cake! Can't Take It Anymore

Baking By springlakecake Updated 13 Aug 2009 , 4:53pm by springlakecake

springlakecake Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 1:12pm
post #1 of 12

Okay I am so frustrated and bewildered about this cake!!!! The first few times I made it, it came out perfectly. Then I went through a series of flopped cakes from this recipe (it sinks about 5 minutes before it comes out of the oven). I thought after some research that there might be too much baking soda in the recipe (2 1/4 tsp) so I reduced it. The recipe started working again, Yay! Now the same thing is happening again. I have baked it 3 times and each time it's looking good then it falls about 5 minutes before it should come out of the oven! I am not even opening the oven BTW. I don't know what else to try. I think I am going to have to give up on this cake, even though I like it very much when it works.

Anyone have any recommendations for another good chocolate cake recipe? I really need to be able to count on something. I am wasing a lot of time and ingredients on this.

or if anyone can solve my sinking problem, that would be great! so frustrated.

11 replies
MissRobin Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 1:25pm
post #2 of 12

Are you filling your pan to full with batter? I find that my cakes sink if they haven't cooked long enough. I feel for you, I have had that problem with that recipe and with another chocolate cake recipe I use. I find that it just take that perfect amount of batter and cooking time. I hope some of these other experts reply, and help you with your problem. Good Luck!! BTW, It is a really good chocolate cake recipe!!!

springlakecake Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 1:39pm
post #3 of 12

Well I sinks and I havent even opened the oven yet! So I don't think it is necessarily because it isnt done...kwim?

Tiffany29 Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 1:44pm
post #4 of 12

The hershey chocolate cake recipe that is on the back of the cocoa box is a very good recipe. It is very moist. I have never had a problem with it sinking. I would not recomend this for sculpting because it would probably fall apart. It is avery good cake. It's the only recipe I use.

Tiffany29 Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 1:46pm
post #5 of 12

how are you preping your pans?

susanscakecreations Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 1:59pm
post #6 of 12

Have you tried the AMAZING Chocolate WASC Cake recipe here?
It is my GO-TO chocolate cake! I won't make any other chocolate cake!
Moist, chocolate-y and deeeeeelish!!!!!!!!
Try it!!!

ziggytarheel Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 2:00pm
post #7 of 12

Have you changed anything about how you measure? I've recently discovered that my measuring cups aren't identical in the way they measure. I think the same could easily be true about measuring spoons.

The first thing I wonder is if you don't have a bad box of baking powder. We have a popular, age old family recipe for poundcake, and whenever someone talks about it falling, it usually turns out their baking powder was bad.

springlakecake Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 3:01pm
post #8 of 12

hmmm, I don't know! The recipe actually calls for baking soda. The first time I was having problems it was literally bubbling right out of the pan then the rest was falling! After studying some, I thought perhaps there was too much, so I reduced it and subbed some baking powder too. I learned that soda is much more powerful than powder. Anyway for awhile that solved my problems. Now it rises nicely but falls right before it should be done. I have seen that other people have had this problem as well. I just don't want to use a recipe I can't count on. For one thing, I don't enjoy the baking part as much as decorating. Second, with 3 kids at home, I can't afford to lose any more time baking! Third, it is too expensive to keep re doing it! arg!!!

I have been weighing all the ingredients, so I don't think it is a measuring problems.

As for perparing the pans, I was doing shortening/flour, but I recently switched to wiltons cake release stuff.

I have tried the hersheys cake and I really liked it. However for me it kept getting stuck to the pan! Again, I just kept wasting money and time on that recipe! I guess it is me. I guess I just keep having bad luck!! icon_cry.gif

Joyful1216 Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 3:06am
post #9 of 12

Merissa, I'm sorry it's not working for you. And chocolate cakes can get expensive. Just in troubleshooting - have you tried just reducing without the subbing soda?

For other suggestions, Toba's is my favorite, but the double chocolate on epicurious is the favorite of my family. I think I remember ceshell recommended Woolley's chocolate cake recipe - here's the link it was in Hawkette's bake-off

JoJo0855 Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 4:53am
post #10 of 12

Could it be that your oven is possessed? icon_evil.gif

I went thru a period where nothing worked right, it turned out my oven temperature was not what it was registered at. Also, you don't say how big the cakes are, do you need to use a flower nail to distribute the heat better?

springlakecake Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 11:26pm
post #11 of 12

ohh I just don't know! It is just mysterious!

springlakecake Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 4:53pm
post #12 of 12

OK! I think I figured it out! The last batch of problems I had, I noticed that the batter beat up really fluffy-like (not like I had remembered from before). I got to thinking it might be that my butter was REALLY soft compared to the other times. So this time I let it soften some, but it was still somewhat solid and cut up into pieces. The batter was again like I remembered (not so fluffy) Anyway it worked!!! I don't know if it is a fluke or perhaps the extra soft butter made the batter too airy or something. I don't know, but my cakes turned out perfectly this time. YEA! thanks for all the suggestions!

Quote by @%username% on %date%