British Buttercream

Decorating By MissCakeCrazy Updated 5 Aug 2009 , 10:15am by MikeRowesHunny

MissCakeCrazy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissCakeCrazy Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 8:57am
post #1 of 3

I am abit confused when I read that you can cover fondant icing on top of a buttercream covered cake or a ganache cake. The british version of buttercream consists of icing sugar and margarine. As it is really buttery, won't the oil seep though the fondant stain it? The same question also goes for ganache. How thick can these be to make it safe for the fondant to go on top?

2 replies
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 9:35am
post #2 of 3

even british butter cream should be made with real butter - although you can do it with margerine, butter does taste better. you never have to worry about grease seeping through, its just a non-issue.
the layer of bc or ganache under the fondant can be as thick as you want, it depends what thickness you find easiest to work with.
xx

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 10:15am
post #3 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by brincess_b

even british butter cream should be made with real butter - although you can do it with margerine, butter does taste better. you never have to worry about grease seeping through, its just a non-issue.
the layer of bc or ganache under the fondant can be as thick as you want, it depends what thickness you find easiest to work with.
xx

Unless the person you make it for has diary intolerance issues, always use butter, margarine is blergh IMO!

I used to use buttercream under my fondant cakes, but now use ganache exclusively (unless requested to do otherwise), as it gives a much firmer base to work on the buttercream. You must use a setting ganache though, not pouring ganache. You can read all about it here:

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=633264&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

HTH!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%