Broaches On Cakes

Decorating By MissCakeCrazy Updated 27 Jun 2010 , 7:57am by BlessP

MissCakeCrazy Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 8:47am
post #1 of 14

I love the effect that broaches has on cakes. Are these specific broaches made for cakes or are they normal broaches. If they are the normal ones which you get, do you remove the pin at the back before you use it? Also, how do you stick it on the cake? Does anybody know of any sites that do really nice broaches?

13 replies
dsilvest Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 9:32am
post #2 of 14

I use old broaches and earings from my mom and grandmother. I also go to nearly new stores and search for interesting ones as well. Lately I ask if the bride has her own family favourite that they would like to place on their cake.

I do not attach it to the cake but rather stick it to the real ribbon that goes on the cake.

patticakesnc Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 10:05am
post #3 of 14

I like myself for less expensive brooches. You need to click on brooches and then look through all of them since there are so many different kinds there. But they do have some nice ones that look like they would be great on a cake.

As for attaching them. I would pin them to the ribbon on the cake. If you are not using a ribbon then a small glob of fondant should be pushed into the back of the brooch and then attached to the cake.

sberryp Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 3:34am
post #4 of 14

Thanks you answer my question before I asked. lol

catlharper Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 3:45am
post #5 of 14

I have done this once for a couple who ordered an anniversary cake from me and wanted me to use the pin her mom wore at their wedding. Fondant cake so what I ended up doing was making a fondant circle the same size as the pin then putting a glob of buttercream on the back of the pin and laying it on the fondant round then attaching the round to the cake when the buttercream had dried the pin to the round. Worked beautifully!

Loucinda Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 3:46am
post #6 of 14

Here is a cake I did last month - the pin was not long enough to go through the fondant bow, (I tried several times, and had to remake that center each time icon_cry.gif ) I ended up placing it below the knot in the bow where it would stay in the cake. The bride still loved it, it was her Grandmothers brooch, the table was trimmed with her Grandmothers was really beautiful the way it looked.

sberryp Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 3:58am
post #7 of 14

Thanks once again! Are there specials broaches to use in cakes?

indydebi Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 6:28am
post #8 of 14

My brides provide all special decors like that. One bride had two on her cake and she got them at an antique mall. I pinned it to the ribbon.

KayMc Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 10:47am
post #9 of 14

This has no sentimental value, but there is also a silicone cameo mold that I got @ Global Sugar Art. I've used it with both fondant and gumpaste. The cameos turn out quite nicely, and are super easy to make. Just another feature you could add on cakes if you don't have the actual jewelry.

Loucinda Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 2:39pm
post #10 of 14

I like that idea too - I made my own for another cake so the entire thing was completely edible.

You can find brooches at Michaels in the beading section also.

I found out later a fix for the one I did would have been to tape a toothpic to the too short pin to get it to be able to go through the knot of the bow. I wasn't able to think of that at the time when it would have been helpful though. icon_confused.gif

jjkarm Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 3:29pm
post #11 of 14

I've also used buttons...(not the ones with the visible holes.) There are some really pretty ones out there now a days. I cover the back with white chocolate and stick them to the cake. Instant bling!!! thumbs_up.gif

Loucinda Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 9:18pm
post #12 of 14

Here is one I did with the edible broaches. I made the mold and used isomalt to make the jewel for the center, then dragees around it.

KayMc Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 9:37pm
post #13 of 14

Lovely! I love how you rimmed the cameo. I'll have to try that!

BlessP Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 7:57am
post #14 of 14

You can also use buttons. They have fancy buttons that looks like brooches.

Quote by @%username% on %date%