Glycerin... Where Is It????

Decorating By mannjc Updated 5 Aug 2009 , 9:39pm by all4cake

mannjc Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 4:56am
post #1 of 12

Im dying to try MFF but Michaels has been out of glycerin for a while and Im getting impatient!!! Any other places where it is sold besides online? I'm assuming it is not a grocery store item, right? thanks for the help icon_smile.gif

11 replies
Jenthecakelady Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 5:17am
post #2 of 12

Have you tried Wal-Mart? They usually carry some of the Wilton items in the craft section-mine carries it.

kansaslaura Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 5:36am
post #3 of 12

Drug stores carry it.

Texas_Rose Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 5:55am
post #4 of 12

The health food store carries it too. Sun Harvest has a big bottle for about $7 and I'm sure they have it at Whole Foods too.

QueenJessica Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 12:20pm
post #5 of 12

I got mine at whole foods

mannjc Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 1:54pm
post #6 of 12

thanks so much for the help icon_smile.gif

cherrycakes Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 1:57pm
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by kansaslaura

Drug stores carry it.

I believe there are two types of glycerin - someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you would want to eat the drug store variety.

Carolynlovescake Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 4:02pm
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrycakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansaslaura

Drug stores carry it.

I believe there are two types of glycerin - someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you would want to eat the drug store variety.

I wouldn't either.

Cathy26 Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 7:37pm
post #9 of 12

the drug store variety is fine - it is in the cough medicine department for sore throats - just make sure it is the pure liquid glucose and not a flavoured variety. this is the only place i buy it and its great.

cherrycakes Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 9:18pm
post #10 of 12

Really??? My doctor told me to mix it with hydrogen peroxide to clean out ear wax!! I just can't imagine eating it!!! icon_smile.gif

poohsmomma Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 9:19pm
post #11 of 12

I got mine in the Walmart pharmacy.

all4cake Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 9:39pm
post #12 of 12

Our walmart carries it on the bandaid aisle. I contacted the humco company about its' use in food products and was assured it is perfectly safe for what I was using it for...MFF.

(Humco rep) Thank you for contacting Humco. Yes, glycerin is safe to use in food products. Have a nice day.

(anal me) Thank you so much for a speedy reply. I am aware that some glycerins are safe to use in food products. I don't wish to assume that you meant to say that the HUMCO brand glycerin is safe to use in food products. You made a general statement without specifically naming the HUMCO brand. I'm sorry if I seem whack on this but I need it either stated that that brand is safe or isn't safe, specifically. As stated in my initial email, I wish to use it as an ingredient in my fondant and need it documented that I investigated all questionable (not stating "food safe" on the label or used in my normal day in day out products makes the item (s) questionable) items. Please, forgive me. For my own peace of mind and also covering my own backside could you, would you be more specific with your response?

(Humco rep) Humco glycerin is safe for food use. Otherwise stated food safe. Have a nice day.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%