Question About Fondant Bulging Out From Cake...

Decorating By Brandy982006 Updated 5 Aug 2009 , 10:21pm by Brandy982006

Brandy982006 Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 3:54am
post #1 of 9

Ok, so I am fairly new to the whole cake decorating world...which I LOVE by the way...and I seem to have a problem covering my cakes with fondant. The problem is that when I cover my cakes with the fondant, a little while later I go back to see the part where the fondant reaches the board actually bulges outward...Not too bad but bad enough that it is obvious. To answer one question you all may have, I have used fondant from decopac, a local cake decorating supply store, and my own made MMF...the problem happens with all of them. What am I doing wrong? ANY help will be great...I see all of your beautiful cakes on here and wish I could get my fondant as beautiful as all of yours. If you look up my pictures, only one of the cakes is covered in fondant (the ice cream cone) I feel I have "mastered" the icings pretty good I just really like the look of fondant. Thank you all so much for any advice you have for me. icon_smile.gif

8 replies
Brandy982006 Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 3:58am
post #2 of 9

Sorry, I lied...I just looked at my pics and forgot I added the Quincenerra cake on too is made of fondant...sorry icon_redface.gif

Texas_Rose Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 4:08am
post #3 of 9

I usually bake, level and fill the cake, then let it sit overnight before I put on the crumbcoat and fondant. That way if it's going to settle it can do it first.

cownsj Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 4:09am
post #4 of 9

Your cakes are beautiful. If I understand your problem correctly, you aren't getting the fondant to stick to the cake at the cake board. If that is it, you might want to try applying piping gel at the bottom of the cake and the fondant should stick for you without any problem. Just don't forget to smooth any bubbles out from under the fondant when you put it on.

I hope this helps.

Brandy982006 Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 5:04am
post #5 of 9

Texas rose: I will try the setup the night before...i have a cake I am doing for a family member (first time this side of the family will see my work) and I want it to look real good. I watch those cake challenge shows and they put the fondant on the cakes almost right away and theirs are beautiful, then again i am sure they are still frozen, lol. Thank you for your suggestion thumbs_up.gif .

Chuck: First off, thank you for your comment about my cakes icon_biggrin.gif Second...when you say I need to remove bubbles, is that when I take my fondant smoother and rub around to make it stick? I don't notice bubbles but then again I didn't know to look for them...Do I start smoothing from the top and work my way down the sides? I am afraid I am going to rip the fondant or squish the cake to distortion if I keep rubbing.

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my post...Any info definately helps icon_smile.gif

Texas_Rose Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 6:02am
post #6 of 9

I never watch the cake shows (we don't have cable) but I'm assuming that they will have baked ahead of time and then what they're showing is the assembly.

Also, are you freezing the cake to put the fondant on? I don't because of humidity issues where I live. The only thing I ever freeze and then fondant is petit fours. Most of the time, I figure if the cake won't stand up to being covered at room temp, it's going to be too fragile to make it to wherever it's going anyhow.

When I posted earlier, I meant to share my method with you...but my phone rang and I clicked submit by accident icon_biggrin.gif So this is what I've figured out for giving the cake a nice bottom edge. Put the cake on a board the same size as the cake. Set that board on something smaller (cake pan turned upside down, maybe) Drape the fondant over the cake and let the excess hang down past the board. Gently open out any wrinkles or folds that have formed around the sides. Then smooth the cake, starting with the top and working down the sides. When it's smoothed to your liking, use kitchen scissors to trim off the excess fondant, slightly below the cake board. Then you can wrap the little bit of extra under the cake board or see if it shrinks up a bit, then trim so you have a perfect bottom edge. Put the cake on its board onto a larger board and you'll have your perfect bottom edge.

Most of the time I save my fondant scraps in the freezer and use them to cover the cake board. Then I glue a ribbon around the edge. It doesn't take a lot of effort but it really adds to the overall look of the cake.

Brandy982006 Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 1:19pm
post #7 of 9

Texas Rose: Wow, thank you so much for the info....The cake I am doing this weekend is a real sized Basketball...I practiced making a mini one and it looked real good except after a while it did that bulging thing. I do freeze my cakes...they are easier to work with but I guess it's not so good with the fondant. It sounds to me like I just have to let the settling happen first. I love the idea of the smaller board, My idea was to have it on a smaller board and set it on a board decorated like a basketball court, so that part will work out nice. i will have pictures of the cake on Sunday....I will let you know what happens.

Again, Thanks for all your help. icon_smile.gif

cownsj Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 3:25pm
post #8 of 9

As the others have said, you want to let the frosting and cake set up in the fridge. It will help keep the fondant from just sliding off your cake, and tearing on you. Use your fondant smoother from top to bottom. By bubbles, I mean you would see large bubbles from the fondant. You will definitely know if they are there, it's just spots where you can see that the fondant hasn't adhered to the cake yet. Use your fondant smoother so you don't trap those under your fondant. Usually you can work your fondant in to stick at the bottom, but piping gel around the bottom half inch or so of your cake will help it stick beautifully.
I've only been doing cakes about a year and a half now and have never had a problem with any cake where I used the piping gel. And no one ever knew I used it.
I'll be looking forward to seeing your ball cake.

Brandy982006 Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 10:21pm
post #9 of 9

Thank you much for your info as well...i am excited to do this cake icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%