Stupid Dummies!!

Decorating By mackeymom Updated 21 Aug 2009 , 8:25pm by brian1974

mackeymom Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 3:32am
post #1 of 15

I hate them!! I thought I would be able to buy a few dummies and use them for practice. Not so my friends!! These stupid things are so hard to cover!! My top edges crack. So I tried using bc to stick the fondant to the dummy, and I smoothed down the top edge and I still have cracking and tearing!!!

Does anyone have any luck with cake dummies? I feel like the dummy because I can cover a real cake just fine!!

Today is one of those days where I feel like Charlie brown trying to kick the football. I know Lucy is going to move to ball but I still kick as hard as I can and I fall on my a$$ every time!!!

14 replies
MargaretG Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 4:23am
post #2 of 15

The dummies have a sharp edge which makes the fondant tear. Roll the sharp edge on your counter to soften it. I use shortening to cover the dummy first then cover with fondant. This way it can be removed later to change styles.
Margaretg

dorie67 Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 4:47am
post #3 of 15

I like the suggestion of rolling the sharp edges to prevent the fondant from tearing, very smart! I have covered dummies before and didn't have any problems, maybe today is just not your day but tomorrow will be better icon_biggrin.gif , good luck! princess.gif

tatechloeandlucysmom Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 4:47am
post #4 of 15

Hi there! This is my first post... I am just getting into making cakes for my munchkins and friends....and when I read this I couldn't resist! WAIT, WHAT? THERE ARE CAKE DUMMIES OUT THERE??? (the heavens just parted lol). I made a dummy out of styrofoam disks which automatically put me at over $12 before the cake was mixed! Could you please tell me more about these dummy cakes? Where does one find this? Are they expensive? And, THANK YOU, ALL OF YOU, for just being neat people who are incredibly talented! Best wishes, Laura

vtcake Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 3:24pm
post #5 of 15

I bought mine from www.**********.com found them online.

It was the cheapest I found at the time.

tatechloeandlucysmom Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 6:21pm
post #6 of 15

vtcake, thank you so much! even though it blocked the name, at least I know that I can search something Inc. out there online... I really appreciate the response! icon_smile.gif -Laura

bisbqueenb Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 10:12pm
post #7 of 15

http://www.**********.com
This is a good place to see what kinds are out there....all different sizes and shapes!~

vtcake Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 11:49pm
post #8 of 15

Well, how come they allowed that link? That's the place I posted where I got mine, lol!

pinkpiggie78 Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 12:12am
post #9 of 15

I smooth my edges with a iron, using parchment paper in between the iron and the dummy. I also get mine from www.**********.com as well.

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 2:17am
post #10 of 15

If you're in Canada, Bulk Barn sells round and square dummies in many diameters. Also, McCall's bakery supplies in Toronto sells different sizes. I got my hexagons there for my B/W hexagon cake in my pics.

Good Luck.

tatechloeandlucysmom Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 2:36am
post #11 of 15

Mackeymom, hope you got it figured out, and thank you for starting this thread! icon_smile.gif Thanks to all of you for your help! Cool, I can't wait to go look! icon_wink.gif -Laura

Lelka Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 3:04am
post #12 of 15

I had absolutely no problems covering dummies. As MargaretG, I covered my dummies with shortening first and then rolled my fondant. I used a bit of shortening on my fingers when I work the edges of the dummies. I like my edges sharp so I didnt dull them. Shortening helps to soft the fondant and gives you a bit time to work with it and smooth it flawlessly.

splash2splat Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 3:24am
post #13 of 15

You can buy dummies at www . **********.com that are cut with rounded edges for covering with fondant and not using anything underneath. If I am using a regular cake dummy I cover it with bc and then cover with fondant and I haven't had any problems. I do have problems trying to keep my dummies in one place with I cover them with bc so I bought a couple of long nails and but them through a cake drum and then I put the dummy on top of the nails and when I have finished icing the dummy or covering with fondant I pick it up and move it to the actual cake board.

splash2splat Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 7:08pm
post #14 of 15

sorry that is suppose to say www.**********.com

brian1974 Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 8:25pm
post #15 of 15

http://www.taylorfoam.com

they do a contoured set (rounded edge) especiallly for fondant,
$20 for a 5 set of rounds

Seemed pretty good to me icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%