Anyone Using Wordpress? Who Has A Blog? I Need Help.

Decorating By Rylan Updated 7 Aug 2009 , 8:20pm by cylstrial

Rylan Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 2:47am
post #1 of 12

I am making this cake blog website and I am having a huge problem. I have no idea where to start. My web designer wants me to start getting a host to get my domain started.

I am totally clueless and I don't know where to begin with. What type of plan do I get? What is the difference between the yearly cheap payments and the monthly payments?

Can anyone please share you experience with this?

11 replies
indydebi Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 3:06am
post #2 of 12

If you're set on using WordPress, then ignore everything from this point on.

I tried WordPress, but after 3 or 4 hours, I had nothing and it was very cumbersome. I'm not a stupid person, but I threw up my hands and walked away.

Went to Blogspot and had my first one posted inside of 30 minutes or so. Super easy .... and free.

Not sure of the difference in the bells and whistles between the two. I figure the bells and whistles can't be worth much if I can't get the blog up to start with! icon_biggrin.gif

Rylan Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 4:56am
post #3 of 12

Indydebi, unfortunately, my web designer has already started on my website. Now she's asking me to get a host and I'm so confused which plan is better.

RachieRach Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 7:39am
post #4 of 12

What is your web designer recommending? To start off, I would use blogger or wordpress since they are free. You can always move your blog to a different (paid) host if your blog becomes too big for the free ones.

Here's a bump. I just started my blog last month so I'm interested in whatever tips you get.

Can't wait to see it once its live.

vmertsock Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 7:23pm
post #5 of 12

I used to use WordPress. I thought it was a little awkward to set up, and I'm a web designer, but once I got it set up I found it very easy to use. I've never tried blogger or blogspot so I can't speak to those. I went with WordPress since that's what my husband-also a web designer-thought was the best for what we wanted. I stopped using it when I decided I wanted a total redesign. I haven't settled on exactly what I want, aside from an online photo album. For that, since I have a mac I use iWeb and love it! It integrates with iPhoto and takes me all of 1-2 minutes to make updates. I just click a bunch of photos, open iWeb thru iPhoto and hit sync. icon_smile.gif If you'd like I can ask my husband about where we host, I can't remember the name. It just changed and is very inexpensive.
Feel free to pm me if I can be of any help! I'm always up for playing around with sites.

ChefDePatisserie Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 2:26pm
post #6 of 12

First, you have two options to start a Wordpress blog:

(1) The free option.
Just go to http://wordpress.com/ and start your blog. Pretty easy, and since it does not cost anything, you can experiment as much as you like.

A (free) alternative to this one is blogger.com.

(2) You host your own wordpress blog.
That is what your webdesigner is referring to. For that, you will need a (cheap) hosting plan, for example at hostgator.com
It only costs few dollars per month and you can set up a wordpress blog with a few clicks (if you know how to do it, of course).

It's confusing in the beginning but it's getting easier the more you work with it. icon_smile.gif

You can take a look at my own blog (in my signature). It is also a Wordpress blog with a very simple (free) theme. So far, I did not have the time to make it more beautiful...

Keiko

Rylan Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 4:54am
post #7 of 12

Thank you so much for the replies. I checked your blogs and they are great! I chose TigerTech as my host and I am excited to get my blog launched.

cylstrial Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 2:04pm
post #8 of 12

This maybe a stupid question, but why do you have to have a host for a blog? We have a blog and we don't have to pay anything for the blog. It's free.

sara91 Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 2:45pm
post #9 of 12

If you are making blog for business it can be a good idea to host it yourself and not use a free host.

1. if it is successful and you want to sell it later you can. you dont own the blog if you use a free site, only the posts you make.

2. you can back up your blog on your computer. dont have to worry about loosing data if the free host goes out of business. this is a common problem

3. more respect if you are a business, you look like a serious blogger

4. you can also create a forum or an estore on your blog if you choose to.

5. you will have your own domain name which is important if you want to create a business identity.

6. you will have more creative control if you have your own host.

Hosting only costs a few bucks a month and is worth it if you want to create a business identity.

megmarie Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 2:55pm
post #10 of 12

If you are setting up a professional website that would be easy for you to edit without the web designer I really recommend Homestead.com. Choose on of the cheapest plans; it will have everything you need. It works like a 'click and drop' program to make it easy for non-html folk, but it also has the ability to accept code that your web designer would want to add.

They are offering a free 30 day trial with 4.99/month after that for the basic plan.
http://www.homestead.com/

I used it for years for a club I was in and it worked like a charm!

Rylan Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 5:16pm
post #11 of 12

Cylstrial, just like sara91 mentioned, I wanted to have my own domain. Although I don't have a business, I just prefer to have my own .com.

Megmarie, I wish I had knew about that information before but unfortunately, my web designer has already been working on the design. I should check that out so I wouldn't have to contact my designer incase I want to change a few things in the future.

cylstrial Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 8:20pm
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rylan

Cylstrial, just like sara91 mentioned, I wanted to have my own domain. Although I don't have a business, I just prefer to have my own .com.

Megmarie, I wish I had knew about that information before but unfortunately, my web designer has already been working on the design. I should check that out so I wouldn't have to contact my designer incase I want to change a few things in the future.

Now it makes more sense. We just have a family blog and stuff. I was just confused, because if you just want a blog there are tons of blogs out there that are free.

So I thought maybe you wanted one for a business. I just thought you would want .com and not blog. So that's what I was asking about it. I know that you can get hosting for a few bucks a month. I've just never heard of a paying money to host from a blog. That's all.

I know that lots of businesses do use blogs. It just seems that they use a free one and just attach it to their website.

Anyway, I'm excited to see your blog or whatever you want to call it. I remember that you said the lady with the cool designs was making it. =o) Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%