Input Please

Decorating By UKCatCrazy Updated 7 Aug 2009 , 1:37am by warmshade

UKCatCrazy Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 2:26am
post #1 of 9

Hello! I wondered across this site and love all of the photo's and information everyone provides. I will be working on a bridal shower cake for this weekend and the colors are Black and Gold. I'm considering putting two 6in. black hearts trimed in gold on top of a sheet cake. I've just never seen a black heart used on a wedding/shower cake, has anyone else? The bride has given me full reign over the design of the cake, but I don't want to do anything that may be inappropriate. Any input oand/or feedback you can provide would be greatly appreciated!

Leigh Ann

8 replies
KatieKake Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 2:35am
post #2 of 9

I would use the black only as an accent color, make the hearts gold with black, or maybe white hearts with gold and black accents. I don't care for the black heart idea my self, but it might be really pretty.

DefyGravity Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 2:52am
post #3 of 9

It really depends what the bride's personality is like. Is she traditional? If so, stick to white or gold hearts. If she's sort of funky, she might like that its a little outside of the box.

BakeLoveMom Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 2:56am
post #4 of 9

I think black looks elegant on a shower cake, just not the dominant color. My sisters' shower cake is prob. going to be white, pink, and black. I think you will be fine to use it on the hearts and other accents. HTH

Sarah

playingwithsugar Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 3:16am
post #5 of 9

The owners of a local bar got married a few years ago, and everything was black - the wedding gown, tuxes, even the cake. It was gruesome. I would also go with white, with black and gold trim/decorations.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

UKCatCrazy Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 12:59pm
post #6 of 9

Thanks for the feedback! I like the idea of doing gold hearts with black accent. Can anyone advise of the best way to tint a nice gold color? Also I've read posts about "painting" on the Gold dusting powder for the Metallic Gold color. How well does this work and what is the best way to mix and apply the color? The couple chose black and gold because the graduated from Purdue, so that's the gold color I'm trying to create. Thanks again for your input!! icon_biggrin.gif

sugarcheryl Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 12:55am
post #7 of 9

I think it's fine I see nothing wrong with it.

woodruffbn Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 1:07am
post #8 of 9

I too think that it would be fine. You could make it look elegant. Just beacause the hearts are black, doesn't mean it will look gothic... er.. whatever. icon_cool.gif

warmshade Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 1:37am
post #9 of 9

A fellow CC-er had a similar situation and recommended that you ask the bride or brides rep in the case of the shower and see if there is anything they absolutely don't want on the cake. You may have done this already but if you haven't it may guve you a better guild line for the things you aren't sure on.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%